Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:12 PM   #1

Default Login trouble

I am having trouble logging into Steve's on my new windows 10 computer. I am running AVG Pro on it, but disabled it for ten minutes and was still unable to login. I get a box indicating I am logged in, but I am not. My next move is to log out on my windows 7 machine, and try again on tje windows ten machine. Any guess as to what the problem might be?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:17 AM   #2

There shouldn't be a problem with having two machines, as long as they are not attempting to be logged in at the same time.
I don't know much about W10, except what I've heard, and that makes me unwilling to 'upgrade'. If you are running the new Edge browser, there have been a lot of changes from IE, and it may be something with that.
One thing I have found that helps with a lot of oddball problems, is to use the Opera browser in 'turbo' or 'off road' mode, whichever they are calling it now. Some other things that might work are CCleaner, a free program to clean up some of the crud that accumulates. Clearing your browser's cache will often fix things like this, too.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply Brian. I think I have got it figured out, at least the problem, if not the solution. Firefox browser would not let me login, but Microsoft Edge does. So now I have to see what that's all about. Windows 10 is not bad, a vast improvement over 8 and 8.1. I got this computer unexpectedly, not that I needed it, but I am giving it a shot. So far so good.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean by "I get a box indicating I am logged in, but I am not" when trying to use Firefox.

It could be that you have cookies disabled, so it is not retaining your status after a login, if you are not seeing your name in the upper right hand corner of screens, and see a login option instead.

That kind of thing would be under your Firefox Options in the Privacy section. There is a "History" option on the Privacy settings screen that is set to "Remember" by default (so it will remember form history, browsing history and more, and allow cookies to be saved).

If it's not set to Remember (or is using a Custom setting with cookies disabled), that could be your problem.

Or, you may have an extension of some type installed that is causing an issue. If you go into Firefox Tools>Addons>Extensions, you can disable extensions to see if one is causing an issue (and that usually requires a restart before changes are applied).

There is a way to create a new firefox profile using what is known as "Refresh" that does not retain any extensions or plugins and returns settings to defaults. For example, you may have javascript disabled or a similar settings issue. So, resetting everything back to defaults without any plugins or extensions installed should solve most issues. See this page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Windows 10 is not bad, a vast improvement over 8 and 8.1. I got this computer unexpectedly, not that I needed it, but I am giving it a shot. So far so good.
I don't know about that. Some touch screen users have expressed their preference for Win 8.x, since Win 10 doesn't have some of the features they liked.

For users with a traditional keyboard and mouse, many prefer using a third party menu system with Win 8.x anyway. So, the changes implemented in win 10 with the menus don't matter to me

So, I have no plans to upgrade any of my machines to Win 10 To each, their own. But, I am not very fond of features like forced updates that allow Microsoft to install anything they want to on a machine (including app and feature changes, not just Security Updates). I do not want my Operating System turned into a potential Advertising Delivery Platform with the developer installing anything they want to on it. So, I am avoiding Win 10.

Win 10 Pro (versus Home) is a little better in that area, as at least it lets you defer updates until a later date. But, you still have very little control over what gets installed to your system compared to previous versions of Windows.

Call me old fashioned. But, these are my computers, not Microsoft's computers. and I want to retain control over what gets installed or changed.

EOL (End of Life) when security updates will end is not until January 2020 for Windows 7. For Windows 8.1 with Update (1) installed, EOL is not until January 2023.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

So, I am in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 10. ;-)

I use the free Classic Shell with Win 8.x installs,. so that the User Interface and Start Menu behaves more like Windows 7. It's also compatible with Windows 10. Get it here:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I do have Win 10 installed in Virtual Machines (using the "fast ring" setting via the Insider Program so that I get the latest builds) to keep up with changes. But, I have no plans to upgrade any of my hard drive installs of Windows (7, 8.x) to Win 10.

Some users like Win 10. Also, Microsoft probably loves seeing it installed, since they will want to make money from adverts in search results and apps. So, they're aggressively pushing it down to machines running Win 7 and Win 8.1 in order to get as many users upgraded to Win 10 as possible.

But, I'll stick with older versions of Windows for as long as practical. I also have my machines set up in dual boot configurations with Linux as the primary boot choice (so that I am not running Windows for most purposes anyway).

Again, to each their own. There are pros and cons to any operating system.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:49 AM   #5
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It could be that you have cookies disabled, so it is not retaining your status after a login, if you are not seeing your name in the upper right hand corner of screens, and see a login option instead.
JimC will obviously know more about the inside of this site than I would, but my experience in IT says this is a very likely issue. Often, anti-virus software has hooks to prevent many cookies from being set.
Also, don't forget that every (Windows) computer has Microsoft Security Essentials as well, perhaps the built-in anti-virus system is getting in the way of Firefox as well?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:27 PM   #6

JimC, Conor, thanks for the replies. I tried everything I could find on the Mozilla website, to no avail. I am using Microsoft's new browser, Edge, and everything is working great. I even found a way to turn off all the "spying" that this browser is supposed to allow. Now I get no pop ups or advertising, which is welcome. I had to find out how to do it from a You Tube video, you would think Microsoft would be more forthcoming, but I guess they are trying to protect their advertisers. The few of us that do the research and find out how to turn it off won't hurt the cause, so to speak. Bottom line for me is, I'm not paranoid about getting ads in my browser as long as they're unobtrusive. I am running a trial version of Avast internet security. We will see.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:34 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
JimC, Conor, thanks for the replies. I tried everything I could find on the Mozilla website, to no avail.
Did you check your Firefox options for saving history (under Options>Privacy, make sure the History section is set to Save History).

If that didn't fix it, did you reset it back to defaults using the refresh feature I linked to? That would normally fix most settings or add-on related issues. But, you'l need to install any plugins and extensions again after using that type of reset. But. dont reinstall any add-ons until making sure it works OK. Then, install one at a time (checking how your login works between addon installs) to see if one of them is the culprit. For example, if you have any of extension related to privacy installed, that could be causing the problems.

See link in my last post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...So, resetting everything back to defaults without any plugins or extensions installed should solve most issues. See this page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote