Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Digiscoping with the Canon A70 Update!

First I's like to thank Lin Evans. Even though he did not directly answer my questions, his comments on this website and other website's pointed me in the right direction to achieve my goal.

Below is some pics from my first test with my new setup. Also is a list of all the equipment I bought and what it cost me. I obtained everything from Scopetronix. The people there were friendly and knowledgeable and happy to answer all my stupid questions.

All my pics are straight out of the camera with the exception of one being flipped and I circled the object I was zooming on in the first 2. Comments are welcome.

P.S. Please keep in mind that this was a quick test and I did not have time to mess with the camera settings. I literally unpacked the scope and accessories, did some quick reading, a bunch of playing and came up with these shots within 1 hours. The camera was set in “P” mode to enable the 2 second timer to help eliminate vibration.

Picture 1 is full wide angle.
Picture 2 is full optical zoom.
Picture 3 is a picture through the Scope.
Picture 4 is the same as 3 flipped with software.
Picture 5 is the Scope.
Picture 6 I leaned a Magazine on the Scope to give you and Idea of it's size.

http://www.pbase.com/markswheels/digiscope

Meade ETX-RA Telescope $199.00
Attachment Kit for A60/A70 $60.00
ScopeTronix MaxView 40 $129.95
Shipping $20.00
Total $408.95
Markswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:45 AM   #2

That is a good zoom on the cheap. Thanks for posting the example pictures. I'm thinking about getting something with really long reach for when I go on vacation in Maine.

It's a tough choice between this route (the cheaper mead) or getting the full blown Swarovsky (which is just a really nice bird spotting scope) and attaching to that.

Have you considered getting a LCD magnifier and sun screen? Do you have trouble viewing the screen out doors?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
That is a good zoom on the cheap. Thanks for posting the example pictures. I'm thinking about getting something with really long reach for when I go on vacation in Maine.

It's a tough choice between this route (the cheaper mead) or getting the full blown Swarovsky (which is just a really nice bird spotting scope) and attaching to that.

Have you considered getting a LCD magnifier and sun screen? Do you have trouble viewing the screen out doors?

Eric
I was also leaning heavily towards the Swarovski. After seeing comparison pictures from the Swarovski and the Meade, the optics were really close. The primary advantages I could see with the Swarovski is it seems to be built like a tank and is gas filled so it won't fog up. I really don't have any plans on hiking my equipment through heavy brush and the cost difference was my deciding factor.

Yes, I have ordered and received an Extend-A-View for the LCD for outdoor viewing. I haven't decided on how I want to mount it yet.
Markswheels is offline   Reply With Quote