Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Feb 9, 2008, 8:32 PM   #1

HI,
Just got a Cybershot DSC-H7, has 15X optical zoom. There is a 'Twilight' setting for low light outdoor photos. Is this the best setting for astro photos. I have been wanting to go out and play around but has been cloudy for a week.
Would I be better off the manually select a high ISO speed and let the camera set everything else?
Confused,
THANKS,
Lakedawgs
lakedawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:12 AM   #2

The H7 lensshould beequivalent to a 465mm at full zoom. And full zoom is not the sharpest lens setting.

However, that will produce roughly a US quarter (25ยข piece) sized moon on a 5x7 print (again, roughly). Also, the moon is quite bright. Set the camera to center spot focus and center spot metering mode, place the spot on the moon and shoot the photo. Play with the EV settings to get the best lunar shot.

More than likely, you will not be too very satisfied with the shot as you really need more zoom (the available accessory screw-on telephoto lensmay marginally help). However, when I connect any of my film or digital cameras to my 8" 2000mm telescope, I can get outstanding shots of the moon and planets and many other astronomical features. To do that, you need the appropriate 'scope adapter for your camera (hence the newish word "digiscoping"). And even at higher ISO settings, you need long, manually controlled exposures.

I think that you will not be able to do a great deal of astrophotography with theH7 all by itself, although it will provide you a decent start along a path of great fun and wonderment!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:34 PM   #3

I don't know if the H-7 has a manual setting, but I use it on my H-5. Use a tripod experiment with exposures - should be roughly daylight settings and bracket until you find acceptable exposures. hgernhardtjr is correct that this is not as sharp as you may like it at long focal lengths but quite good. I also turn off image stabilization.

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote