Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:44 PM   #1

Default ETX-90

Is it any good for digibirding?

Togal
togal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2002, 8:10 AM   #2

This should answer some questions and keep you busy for a while.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=3487182

It helped me learn alot!
Dj-Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:49 PM   #3

Thanks Dj

I have read this. Saw some birds done with ETX, so ETX maybe the option for digibirding.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 6:31 AM   #4

Wow! I'd end up in hospital if I had to carry that around with me on a birding trip :shock: Obviously big strong guys over there in the states
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 5:41 PM   #5

The ETX-90 can be used very successfully for birding on a budget. It's not durable like a Swarovski, Pentax, Leica, etc., and has no weatherproofing, but the scope can be purchased as a spotting instrument without all the associated yoke and celestial tracking mechanism, or you can simply remove four screws and lift the barrel out of the yoke assembly. There are two tripod taps on the bottom of the barrel.

As far as optics are concerned, it's as good as any of the spotting scopes I've used. The down side is that it's more "bulky" (not heavy) and has no protection against rain, dirt or dust. Not nearly as handy in the field, but works quite well from an optics perspective. Here are a couple shots made with the ETX-90. The first at 5989mm with a William Optics 24mm eyepiece and the second at about 2300mm with the same eyepiece.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 4:00 PM   #6

Thanks Lin. These are very nice pictures. Better then I expected. The reason I posted my question is that I own a "kind of" ETX. It is Russian telephoto lens MTO-11CA (same type as ETX, diameter- 100mm/FL=1000mm+ 90 deg conventer makes FL=1420mm)for SLR with added eyepiece. It makes not bad spoting/astro scope (at least by my standards). I ordered an eyepiece with threads so I will be able to couple my QV3500 to the scope. It is a 38mm, 2" eyepiece wit eye relief of 26 mm. I hope to post some pictures with this setup in 2-3 weeks.
BTW, have you ever heard of MTO-11CA?
Old Dec 19, 2002, 4:23 PM   #7

I haven't heard of it, but there are many good optics which I've not personally used.

You will likely have some degree of vignetting due to the larger lens on your camera relative to the Nikons, but I suspect you will still have plenty of good area to crop from. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote