Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:52 PM   #1

Default Never edited before, what software?

I just got a Canon 80D. I've never done any post processing before. Truthfully, I'm not sure I want to now but I should at least have the option and capability to do so. I've downloaded the free package Canon gives you when you register a product with them. I'm interested in the easiest to use package that does basics for someone just starting out editing. Oh, and I want it to be easy to use. That's my main factor, easy to use. So, what package(s) should I be researching? Thanks.
Leo_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:34 PM   #2

206 views and nobody has any helpful input to share?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:15 PM   #3

G'day Leo

First time I have seen your post - many of us only visit 2 or 3 times each week, so don't give up. Also many others on the list are 'squinters' who seem to pop in then depart for zones unknown, and others are 'too busy' at the moment and decide to come back later ....

Okay - you a) are unsure about the need for editing and b) want to explore it as a topic to see what it does. - both quite okay reactions to your photography

Firstly - is there a need for editing? ... after all, you've got a great beaut camera which has heaps of features all working to give you a beaut photo. In my experience, yes- 98% of my day-to-day pics are okay straight from the camera, but there are occasions when the camera's best efforts maybe need a bit of fine tuning.

You will know from your picture taking ... with a landscape for example, if you point the camera down a bit you will get quite different exposure settings from pointing the camera up a bit - and when you view the result on the computer screen it might be 'perfect' or it might be a bit light or dark. This is where some of us do some fine tuning

You have heaps of choice available for software - some free ones have good reviews, others not so good reviews ... some paid stuff is easy to use and some is damn hard do learn and use. Dr Google and U-tube can show you all sorts of stuff - but from my viewing, most of the 'beginner' stuff expects you to have some understanding of what you're doing

The most used around the world stuff is the Adobe Photoshop products - the home user 'PS Elements' [which costs about $50us and you buy it outright], and/or the serious / professional user with Photoshop CC which one gets via a monthly $ fee arrangement. While there is a learning curve for PSE or PS-CC, you have the advantage of heaps of magazines and U-tube videos showing you how it all goes together. You also will find that your local adult-education college will run courses in PS for beginners

It is also possuble to download a 30-day free trial of PSE [make sure your download matches your Windows version] and from that you can have a play with its settings ... it goes from 'auto' where PSE does it for you, to 'guided' then 'quick' with easy to use slider bars, then 'full' where all the tools and bits are displayed for your use. It really is easy to use once the initial fright ... "geez it's all new and strange" goes away

I use PSE and have done for many years
Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:48 AM   #4

Thank you for a very helpful reply. I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near serious enough to commit to something I'd have to pay for forever. I'll definitely have to do some research on Elements though. Thanks again.

Last edited by Leo_B; Jul 20, 2019 at 7:39 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:05 PM   #5

G'day Leo

Okay - also have a look into Windows ... recent/current versions might have a small version of a photo editor thrown in as a freebie ...... remembering always that a freebie from M$ is always going to be a bit mickey-mouse insofar as the recognised alternate products are concerned

Phil
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:07 AM   #6

Thanks. I don't think I'd fool with anything thrown in with Windows. Probably being negative on my part but I just don't think of it as equal to other stuff out there.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:18 PM   #7

The problem with a question like this Leo is that each person can typically only tell you about the package they use, very few of us have the luxury of being able to afford the time and money to seriously investigate all the offerings. Phil uses Adobe stuff and is happy with it, I use PaintShop Pro and am happy with it. Is one better than the other? Who knows, I've only used PaintShop and have used it for many years starting when it was called something else and given away on CDs with PC magazines.

Mike
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:29 PM   #8

G'day Leo

I believe that something called 'windows photo editor' comes with MS Office or maybe MS win-10. As it is a freebie, it only has the most used dozen or so tools that everyone else uses ... lightening / derkening / cropping / straightening horizons and so on. The tools are effective, but lacking in sophistication when compared with more competent products

It is when you want to 'get serious' and start to do some of the more 'esoteric' editing, that a 'proper / full' photo editor comes into play, and that is why most of us go for a recognised product.

What I suggest is for you to use Dr Google to list 'free photo editing software' ~ you will probably get 1/2-dozen suggestions &/or product reviews. I would suggest as a safety thing before downloading any 'free-to-test' software [of any sort and at any time] that you do a windows 'restore point' operation, just in case the new product decides to alter your regular desktop or something silly like that

Phil
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:10 AM   #9

For ease of use, and something simple enough to understand and quickly start using, I have always preferred Photoimpact. The software was bought up by Corel, though, and some of its best features were incorporated into Paint Shop Pro. Photoimpact was also released separately by Corel, but has pretty much been abandoned, and hasn't been developed for years. It is still available, however, through Amazon and Ebay, etc.
If you don't want to invest much into it, and are willing to spend a little time learning, there is an open source editor called the GIMP, which is full-featured and kept up to date. It can be purchased on CD or downloaded for free. I recommend, if you download it, to use a safe download site. I use MajorGeeks.com , as they test for any malware/viruses, and are very good about letting you know whether the software is free, a trial package, shareware, adware, etc., and what the price is if it's commercial. The Gimp can be as complex as a full installation of Photoshop, but the basic tools are not too difficult.

Brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:45 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for some excellent suggestions. I'll be checking into them.