Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 13, 2002, 7:34 PM   #1

Default Which Operating System for Photoshop

I am going to buy a laptop as a second computer to take along on vacations, and ultimately extended trips in retirement. I want to have photoshop available for my digital camera and film scanner.

Does it matter which PC operating system I buy? I seem to recall a post about photoshop not working well with one of the operating systems (XP maybe?). I am thinking of buying a Dell 8200. I'm already PC based, so I don't want to switch to Mac.

Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated. I'm headed for Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, in three weeks and want to be set up by then.

Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2002, 4:48 PM   #2

I have used photoshop 6 on windows 98, windows 2000 and windows XP. Ran great on all three OS. But if you got an older version of PS the i belive windows 2000 is the best.
BjarneChr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 4:18 PM   #3

With Photoshop your amount of memory and processor speed will have a large impact on how the application runs. PS is a resource hog, but it is a good and powerful program, so...

As for OS Win98 SE is for gaming, Win ME was a joke. I would stick with Win2k sp2 for now. XP is a consideration, however I always pick an OS with several patches over a newer OS for real work.

Working with pictures, video, and sound has always been a Mac strongpoint, however with OS X it is a different ballgame and the vendors are still coming out with OS X versions of popular applications and buying a new machine and new software gets expensive.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 3:43 AM   #4

Default NT based system is the best chioce

For the best performance I recomend You a NT based system (XP, win 2000 or the old NT)

Why? Because a NT based system usa all the posible power of the hardware and is too much more safe than the Win9x/Me series.

Here Is It working on Mi P3 1ghz with 1gb of RAM and XP op sysem.

[Edited on 19-7-2002 by Jedi]

[Edited on 19-7-2002 by Jedi]
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 2:30 AM   #5

:P The only thing you need is horsepower, otherwise the manipulations take too long. Lots of ram.
whopperjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 11:57 PM   #6

Default RAM disk space RAM disk space

PS shop is a memory hog! I strongly recommend XP ... it is really just the lowest bug ver of Win 2000, and you want every bit of stability you can get with PS!

AND get lots disk space .. I recommend having a second HD if possible. PS files are HUGE

Also, remember to bring your magic decoder ring ... PS has lousy help and lack the usual omnipresent right button aids of well written PC apps.

Good luck!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:38 AM   #7

as far as the help. it's called training seminars at 750-1000 a pop. its also called vertical marketing.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 1:16 AM   #8

yEP ... and lousy design! IMO Mac users have not yet grwon out of colossal cave.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote