Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:59 AM   #1

Default Color space error message

Hello, I'm new here, this is my first post. So far I have not been able to find anyone that can help with my issue (I seem to excel at having technical issues that no one else ever does!)

My camera is a Lumix DMC-FZ1000 and it is set to sRGB colour space.
I use Windows 10, all up to date and photoshop Elements 15.

I'm making a photo book using "Photoinpress" book making software. I have used this program for years with no problems.

The problem: When dragging photos into the Photoinpress software I occasionally get an error message that states:
"Unsupported jpeg. Please convert to sRGB image. CMYK not supported" I sent them some of the offending photos and they had the same problem. They claim there must be meta data embedded in the photo. This seems odd as it's only a few photos and my camera does not offer CMYK as a choice.

This only happens on some photos (99%) of them are fine. My camera does not support CMYK nor does Photoshop Elements. The details tab of the photos says it's sRGB. I've tried converting the offending files to RGB and then back to sRGB but it doesn't help. The only sure fire solution has been to select "save for web" in when saving in Elements. Sometimes just trying again later works. I don't think I had this problem until I got this camera.

The save for web solution is fine, but I'm very frustrated as to why this type of thing happens. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which photos get the error message.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen. It's a pain to have to go back to photoshop and resave individual files.

Thanks, MGB5 (Michael)

Last edited by MGB5; Feb 11, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
MGB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:00 PM   #2

Perhaps you can get a separate Exif reader app and check the rejected files for the color space information, or at least check the photo properties in Elements to see if the tags have changed.
As to the seeming randomness of the problem; are you using some photos directly from the camera, and editing some in Elements? If so, my guess would be that the default 'save as' in Elements is not sRGB. (being an Adobe product, it is likely to be aRGB, which Adobe sometimes considers to be just RGB) Using 'save for web' automatically converts to sRGB
Don't know if any of this helps, but it should give you some ideas on what to look for.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:19 PM   #3

Thanks, photoshop says the photos are sRBG (the only other choice in Elements is RBG). Every photo I use in the photobooks has had some tweaks in photoshop.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:45 PM   #4

So in Photoshop Elements MODE .... CMYK isnt an option? I didnt know that. I knew it was trimmed down, but CMYK is an important mode to be using when doing accurate color correction.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
So in Photoshop Elements MODE .... CMYK isnt an option? I didnt know that. I knew it was trimmed down, but CMYK is an important mode to be using when doing accurate color correction.
I think it's assumed that people that need that level of colour correction and accuracy for commercial work etc will have the full version of photoshop. You can still get very good colour reproduction with proper monitor and printer profiles with Elements.