Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:50 AM   #1

Default Image Editing Tutorials

I have a Canon Rebel T6 and it came with an image editing program called Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP4). Now, don't laugh, I also have Abode Photoshop Elements 2! I want to learn how to correct my images using the DPP4. I've seen and heard a lot about Lightroom and don't want to cough up the monthly fee. The capabilities of DPP4 look pretty similar to Lightroom. I want to learn how to take an image and decide what I need to do to correct it. Are there any books or online tutorials that you can recommend for me?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:08 PM   #2

G'day Linda

As far as DPP4 goes - I do not know of any ... unless the Canon site itself has links to its developer

As far as PSE goes - the old saying 'YouTube is your friend' applies here - as there are heaps of good to medium to poor uploads there

As far as PSE-2 goes, I can't comment on its features ... I started with PSE-5 and it was pretty good, I upgraded to PSE-8 then PSE-12 and dumped it and returned to PSE-8. At PSE-10 they changed the screen layout and to me, it's a disaster - with stuff occupying huge areas of the screen and the image is lost in the 'stuff'

If you choose to download a recent version, you need to know whether your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit operating system, as the version numbers change for that

However - back to you ...
I would presume that DPP4 will run both JPG and RAW images and it will have various slider bar options for a dozen or so things. You might just need to sit down with a cuppa / glass of wine [or 2 or 3] and explore things, and see how much you can bugga-up the image. Only by experimenting will you find out 'the right way' to do stuff

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
I would presume that DPP4 will run both JPG and RAW images and it will have various slider bar options for a dozen or so things. You might just need to sit down with a cuppa / glass of wine [or 2 or 3] and explore things, and see how much you can bugga-up the image. Only by experimenting will you find out 'the right way' to do stuff
Hi Phil!

Yes, playing around is the best way to learn. I wasn't looking for specific photo editing program directions per say, but a general type of instruction for photo editing. For example, have a photo with some issues and then list ways to correct it like "increase brightness" or "decrease shadows using gamma adjustment" blah blah blah. I guess what I'm looking for is an explanation/tutorial of how to use gamma adjustments, white balance, sharpness, brightness/contrast/hue/saturation, tone curves, color adjustment to enhance my images when needed.

Right now I'm currently practicing doing everything in manual (focus, wb, av, tv, iso) just to get used to my camera and trying to keep tv at 250 for sharpness when handheld. Having fun. I have two kit zoom lenses and hate it when the aperture changes on me. I have a 100mm macro coming in the mail on Saturday.

Thanks for your help!