Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:24 AM   #1

Default layers and linking

I got some help with learning layers tonight and I'm getting it a lot better now.

Something came up that we wanted to do but couldn't. I'm using PhotoShop CS, but I think this is the same in 7.

I selected a region of the picture and copied it into a new layer. Now I wanted to do multiple edits to that new layer. So with this new layer selected I created an adjustment layer for levels. I wanted to adjust the levels of just that part of the picture, but still have the flexibility of changing the setting after the fact like an adjustment layer gives you.

Here is the problem. The adjustment layer did not only effect that part in the new layer. It effected all the layers. We even tried linking the adjustment layer and the layer with the region and that didn't help.

When we merged the adjustment layer down it did want we want, but I lost the ability to change the level adjustment because the adjustment layer was gone.

Is there a way to do what I want? Were we using adjustment layers & linking wrong?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2004, 6:13 AM   #2

Default Re: layers and linking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
... Here is the problem. The adjustment layer did not only effect that part in the new layer. It effected all the layers. We even tried linking the adjustment layer and the layer with the region and that didn't help. ...
Assuming CS works the same way as PS6, look for "Group with Previous" to localize the adjustment layer in the stack.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 7:13 AM   #3
AMG

the shortcurt which you will use often is ctrl-G, to un-group it, ctrl-shift-G.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:21 AM   #4

Ah, "grouping" not "linking". Thanks!

Damn, I need to go to work, but I'll look this up in the manual. Hate it when you remember wrong which feature does what.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:51 PM   #5

When you're creating the adjustment layer you can check the box that says 'use previous layer to create clipping mask' It does the same thing
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:55 PM   #6
AMG

but he's probably using the button on the bottom of the layers pallette where that is not an option.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote