Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:28 AM   #1

Default Imaging Software

I have four different programs I use. All are basic but each has at least one feature I use.

Image Expert (came with my Epson 3000Z)
I use this to correct exposure and color , and to print pictures. I normally print 4 pictures to a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. This program has a very good print layout feature. I also use it to view my pictures in slide show mode. I guess I use this one the most because I've used it the longest - a very similiar version came with my first digital camera, an Epson 750Z.

Dimage Viewer (came with my Z1)
The only one that will display the complete data saved with the picture.

Polaroid Photomax (Came with my printer)
Red eye removal (the only one that does this fairly well).

Irfanview (Freeware)
I don't use this much as I've not played with it very often. It's good for renaming a batch of files.

I recently ordered Paint Shop Pro Ver 8.0. I'm sure it will have many more features than the programs I'm using. Most of them I'll never use. I'm wondering if it has a good layout feature for printing pictures. Let's make this a question - does it? If so, it could most likely replace all the rest.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:56 PM   #2

Quote:
I recently ordered Paint Shop Pro Ver 8.0. I'm sure it will have many more features than the programs I'm using. Most of them I'll never use. I'm wondering if it has a good layout feature for printing pictures. Let's make this a question - does it? If so, it could most likely replace all the rest
IMHO PSP 8 has a very good, intuitive multi-picture layout and printing capability.

I regularly print three 4x6 or two 4x6 and one 5x7 on 8.5x11 paper using PSP 8. You can create layout templates or quickly create new layouts with almos no effort. I haven't tried the highly respected Qimage, but from what I can surmise, PSP 8 multi-image print capability is on par. [Qimage batch processing capability may by the key difference, I don't know for sure]

PSP 8 has most of the advanced features as 'full-up' Photo Shop [7] but the interface is somewhat different-- and arguably easier to master.

BTW Irfanview is a wonderful program for quickly resizing image file for web view or email, building slide shows from image files, converting between multiple formats, high quality resizing (uses Lanczos transforms). Editing features are limited, but the price is right, and it has a very small foot print on your hard drive. Irfanview is my default .jpg viewer.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:42 AM   #3

Ya know, when i was a noobie in the Software imagine field so to speak i used to love Imageviewer, it was great, then i steped up one day to PSP i thought it was AWSOME! Then one day i decided to make my own sigs and different things like this. I then decided to get PhotoShop Pro, which i might add is what i still use now. Granted i use different software for printing out my pictures (HP software, i found to be the easiest and best) but as far as doing graphics, bar none Photoshop pro. It's hard to get used to, but once you know it, it TEARS PSP up!

my opinion if you care!
ekimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 5:50 PM   #4

Hi,

I use most of time FixFoto for optimizing and XnView für viewing my photos.

dp
DonPablo is offline   Reply With Quote