Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Flash (External) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/flash-external-52/)
-   -   FL360 flash for Lumix (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/flash-external-52/fl360-flash-lumix-176072/)

ddandb Aug 26, 2010 9:54 AM

FL360 flash for Lumix
 
I was checking on Ebay to see what I could find and some other brands came up beside Panasonic. Targus and Vivatar. Both said they were completely compatable, TTL, etc. But from everything I'm reading the only ones that will really work automatically are the Panasonic and Olympus brands.
Has anyone ever tried the Targus and Vivatar brands to see if they do really work? On the other hand even if they do work are they brands I should stay away from. (looks like they run about $100 cheaper then the Panasonic)

mtclimber Aug 26, 2010 10:11 AM

ddanddb-

Vivitar and Targus will work, but only in the manual Mode. Those two are NOT TTL flashes for Panasonic. Your best bet is the Oly FL-36 if you want TTL operation.

Sarah Joyce

ddandb Aug 26, 2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1133949)
ddanddb-

Vivitar and Targus will work, but only in the manual Mode. Those two are NOT TTL flashes for Panasonic. Your best bet is the Oly FL-36 if you want TTL operation.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks.. Kind of what I thought.

The Olympus FL-36 and the Panasonic FL360, after a quick look, appear to be about the same price. B&H had the Panasonic at about $10 more.
Do you know if there is any advantage of one over the other?

mtclimber Sep 1, 2010 4:39 PM

They are the very same flash unit that has been re-badged. The Oly is usually a bit cheaper.

Sarah Joyce

ddandb Sep 1, 2010 5:41 PM

I saw B&H had a Bower flash that said it was Panasonic TTL compatible and had great reviews so I gave it a try. My camera, fz100 recognizes it, the flash recognizes my camera. A little heavy, but then it does take four batteries.

mtclimber Sep 1, 2010 9:32 PM

That sounds like you got a good fit for your FZ-100. What Bower model is it?

Sarah Joyce

ddandb Sep 2, 2010 7:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1136435)
that sounds like you got a good fit for your fz-100. What bower model is it?

Sarah joyce

sfd9260

mtclimber Sep 2, 2010 10:45 AM

Thanks for that info. Tell us more how it works out, please. This may indeed become a good alternative choice for the FZ-100.

Sarah Joyce

ddandb Sep 2, 2010 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1136600)
Thanks for that info. Tell us more how it works out, please. This may indeed become a good alternative choice for the FZ-100.

Sarah Joyce

I tested it with 4 new rechargeable batteries in it, freshly charged.
The recharge rate on the flash seemed almost instantaneous. Picture to picture the flash was ready before my camera was.
I tried it at different camera zoom settings and it always seemed to provide perfect lighting, not over or underexposed... except at wide angle (no zoom at all) here there seemed to be some shadowing at the bottom part of the picture. I'm guessing here that this is because the flash extends past the camera lens that is retracted back in at wide angle.
Bouncing the flash off the ceiling worked great. I was able to finally get some pictures of my cat indoors without his eyes being blown out.
Haven't tried slave or manual yet.

The red auto focus assist lamp doesn't come on for the flash, just the one on the camera. I understand that none of the flashes (even Panasonic ones) will come on either with any of the FZ cameras. So I was expecting that not to work.

And this thing does add some weight to the camera.

ddandb Sep 3, 2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddandb (Post 1136638)
I tested it with 4 new rechargeable batteries in it, freshly charged.
The recharge rate on the flash seemed almost instantaneous. Picture to picture the flash was ready before my camera was.
I tried it at different camera zoom settings and it always seemed to provide perfect lighting, not over or underexposed... except at wide angle (no zoom at all) here there seemed to be some shadowing at the bottom part of the picture. I'm guessing here that this is because the flash extends past the camera lens that is retracted back in at wide angle.
Bouncing the flash off the ceiling worked great. I was able to finally get some pictures of my cat indoors without his eyes being blown out.
Haven't tried slave or manual yet.

The red auto focus assist lamp doesn't come on for the flash, just the one on the camera. I understand that none of the flashes (even Panasonic ones) will come on either with any of the FZ cameras. So I was expecting that not to work.

And this thing does add some weight to the camera.

Tried the slave mode. That works fine also.. Though I almost went blind checking.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:22 AM.