Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Flash (External) (
-   -   LED light "strips" (

dg27 May 1, 2017 5:53 AM

LED light "strips"
I saw a wedding photographer recently who was shooting indoors in a large public space. His photographer was holding an approximately 15" X 3.5 " LED strip (like a rectangular baton). It seemed to do a good job. I haven't seen these before and wonder whether they are worth checking out. I use a tripod in some situations with tricky lighting and I don't use an external flash.

Any thoughts?

VTphotog May 1, 2017 11:16 AM

I would think of something like that as more fill light than primary, although you can get LED lights to equal studio lighting. If using an ISO setting of 800 or above, it might be possible to get decent shots, but I'm not sure the quality would be good enough for weddings. Guess it depends on the people who are paying for it.

dg27 May 1, 2017 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by VTphotog (Post 1411337)
I would think of something like that as more fill light than primary

Thanks, VTphotog. I was thinking of this strictly in terms of fill lighting. My preferred store (B&H) doesn't even carry anything like this, which makes me wonder.

BBbuilder467 May 2, 2017 1:03 AM

When searching for tools for light painting, I came across something that looked like a paddle with rows of led lights. I couldn't figure out what it was used for.

If you search for "light painting tools" you might find it. It just looked like a small board with 4 or 5 rows of lights on it.

Bob Nichol May 8, 2017 6:26 AM

Some "white" LED lamps use phosphors like a fluorescent lamp and could render a discontinuous spectrum with funny colour shifts.
The two simplest methods of producing white light LEDs are RGB or phosphor. RGB or trichromatic white LEDs uses multiple LED chips emitting red, green, and blue wavelengths. These outputs combine to produce white light. The color rendering index (CRI) is poor, typically 25 - 65, due to the narrow range of wavelengths emitted.[28]

The second basic method uses LEDs in conjunction with a phosphor to produce complementary colors from a single LED. The most common method is to combine a blue LED with a yellow phosphor, producing a narrow range of blue wavelengths and a broad band of "yellow" wavelengths actually covering the spectrum from green to red. The CRI value can range from less than 70 to over 90, although a wide range of commercial LEDs of this type have a color rendering index around 82.[28]
Problems have been encountered attempting to use otherwise high CRI LED lighting on film and video sets. The color spectra of LED lighting primary colors does not match the expected color wavelength bandpasses of film emulsions and digital sensors. As a result, color rendition can be completely unpredictable in optical prints, transfers to digital media from film (DI's), and video camera recordings. This phenomenon with respect to motion picture film has been documented in an LED lighting evaluation series of tests produced by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences scientific staff.[38]

To that end, various other metrics such as the TLCI (Television Lighting Consistency Index) have been developed to replace the human observer with a camera observer.[39] Similar to the CRI, the metric measures quality of a light source as it would appear on camera on a scale from 0 to 100.[40] Some manufacturers say their products have TLCI values of up to 99.[41]

Ozzie_Traveller May 10, 2017 6:03 PM

G'day fellas

Would this stuff be similar to the existing LED Video lights that one sees more & more?


BBbuilder467 May 13, 2017 2:56 PM


Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller (Post 1411424)
G'day fellas

Would this stuff be similar to the existing LED Video lights that one sees more & more?


If this is the light painting tool, it might create the effect of a cookie if you tilted it right.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:20 AM.