Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 28, 2003, 11:31 PM   #1

Default I'm confused about flashes and sync cords with C-5050z

I own the c-5050z. I also own Nikon's SB-50DX and their SC-17 cable. I know that these accessories are not Olympus but wondered if they work. Well, I used them several days ago. My results were generally 50/50. Some photos are fine while others were either underexposed or overexposed. Sometimes the speedlight would not fire at all. I'm not that experienced in using flashes in manual mode, which is what you need to do with this setup.

I don't want to buy the expensive FL-40 dedicated flash but I do want a good one that will take photos utilizing the same "auto" capabilties as the built-in flash. What would you recommend? Do I need the proper sync cord? what is a sync cord? what's the FL-CB04? Is this what I need?

I'm just looking for some TTL and/or Auto abilities?

Kareem
Kareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2003, 12:58 AM   #2

Default Re: I'm confused about flashes and sync cords with C-5050z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem
I own the c-5050z. I also own Nikon's SB-50DX and their SC-17 cable. I know that these accessories are not Olympus but wondered if they work. Well, I used them several days ago. My results were generally 50/50. Some photos are fine while others were either underexposed or overexposed. Sometimes the speedlight would not fire at all. I'm not that experienced in using flashes in manual mode, which is what you need to do with this setup.
The 50/50 is due to the fact that the c-5050z does not transmit the TTL signals that the SB-50DX needs. Consequently, the SB-50DX will act alone without any help from the camera.

Quote:
I don't want to buy the expensive FL-40 dedicated flash but I do want a good one that will take photos utilizing the same "auto" capabilities as the built-in flash. What would you recommend? Do I need the proper sync cord? what is a sync cord? what's the FL-CB04? Is this what I need?
Even though you have an Olympus sync cord, a cable that can be used to transmit the full set of flash control signal between the camera and a flash, you still cannot use the SB-50DX properly because, as mentioned above, the set of Nikon SB-50DX flash control signals is different from that of the Olympus. However, since every camera and flash supports the ISO standard, which only need the center dot and the surrounding ground, you still can use your c-5050 with the SB-50DX. What you need is a PC flash cable. More precisely, you will need a cable very similar to that of the Sc-17; but, only has the center spot in the hot shoe. To the best of my knowledge, your SC-17 should still work fine. See below.

Quote:
I'm just looking for some TTL and/or Auto abilities?
No, there cannot be any TTL capability because Olympus and Nikon products do not speak the same TTL language. However, you can set the SB-50DX to the Auto mode and set the aperture (on the flash) to the one that will be used in your next shot. In this way, the SB50DX will measure flash illumination and cut off its power. The camera only triggers the flash. Another possibility, which is not auto at all, is use the SB50DX manual mode. You might also set your c-5050z to manual mode. You calculate the aperture as GN/subject-to-flash-distance, assuming ISO = 100, and use this aperture value on both the camera and the flash. In this way, the flash always sends out a fix amount of light, specified by the aperture you dialed in, to illuminate the scene.

Take a look at the "External Flash" section of my 950/990/995/4500 user guide for the ways of using your flash in the auto or manual mode. Although these pages are built for Coolpix cameras, the use of an external flash is camera independent.

Hope this answers your questions fully.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote