Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1

Hi,
Recently i read some of the article abt the DIY Bounce Card. And found out that Bounce Card use when outdoor or indoor without lower ceiling (PLease correct me if wrong). i very confusing abt this 2 items. can anyone here explain for me when we need to use the dome and bounce card? can this 2 items use together?

thanks

regards,
koshinki

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2

Hi Koshinki,

I only use the dome if it is a very tight space and I have to be very close to a subject I'm photographing. No matter how small a room is you still have to have space between the subject and the wall in back of Him/Her or them. The dome allows for softer light when you need to be close. The Built in diffuser on the SB-800 will function almost as good as the dome when using the bounce card but if you have the dome with you, you should use it.

I use the built in bounce card on My SB-800 when in a larger room so the light can bounce around and kind of wrap the subject. (not really good if the ceiling is not white)

When outside I just point My flash straight at the subject and do not use anything on it.

The main thing when using flash is for you to purchase a Stroboframe flash bracket and a TTL sync cord to get the flash at least 10 inches above the lens.

The Pro-T or Press-T brackets are very good and sturdy.

I only use the Built in camera flash as a commander for My SB-800's and Sb-600. I rarely ever use it for a portrait photograph.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:01 PM   #3

Hi Ronnie,
Thanks for your reply.
u mention when outdoor, u use the direct flash and never use and diffusion or dome, this will cause the lighting too strong?

Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:49 PM   #4

No, I use TTL and never had a problem. I'm usually far enough away from the subject that the light will fall off. I do look on the viewing screen and if there ever is a problem I can turn the flash down a stop if needed.

After you start using your flash a lot you will just know by experience weather it will need to be adjusted or not.

I use a Nikon D200 and SB-800 flash on a Stroboframe press-T bracket with a Nikon SC-29 TTL sync cord. My lens is the Nikon 18/200"VR"

At times I will meter the light outdoors with my light meter. Most of the time I don't. I set the camera to Aperture preferred and let the computer in the D200 do the lighting equations. That is what I paid for so I learned to use it.

I use this same equipment for 98% of all photographs I do.

Ronnie

Black dog, Black skirt, White shirt. Pale skin girl

Without flash the dog would have no eyes or any detail at all. The 11 X 14 Photograph was way better looking then this shrunk down picture I'm showing here.

Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:20 AM   #5

Hi Ronnie,
So in normal case (most of the time),
- u will use a built in difussion + dome in a small room.
- u will use the bounce card when the large room.
- direct flash when out door.

all this condition, u will choose the TTL. am i right? of course this is base on the situation and lighting and i need to learn this thru the experience.

how's the result if i use the bounce card (bigger than built in card) in out door? lighting will softer?

thanks for the useful info and the attachment files.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:12 AM   #6

I never use a dome or the bounce card out doors. I do always use TTL and just point the flash at the subject. My most use-full and important item I use is the Stroboframe flash bracket and TTL sync cord to keep the flash above the lens far enough to eliminate red eye and ugly shadows.

The wedding picture on the beach would not be as good without the TTL balanced flash. The whitewedding gownwould have been more gray if no flash was used. If I just measured the light for the white wedding gown the sky and ocean would have been blown out. The picture I printed is way better then the low resolution cut down picture you are viewing here.

There are many books and videos to teach you about proper lighting but a lot of times they will just complicate things. The main thing I have learned is to balance the subject with the back ground and watch for ugly shadows or blown out highlights. I love Nikon TTL because it works perfect 99% of the time. I don't have to think about it.

Go to : www.photodex.com click on line sharing then put in ronnie948 as member name then open [b]lisa and bruce wedding to see a slide show of a complete wedding album I photographed. The pictures outside the church were done with the sun directly overhead at the very worst time of the day. During the ceramony they turned all of the lights down to just about candle light, Doing the formals inside the Church the sodium vaper lights along with every other type of light was not the best situation for taking pictures. At the reception I never seen so many mirrors and the whole one wall was all glass facing the ocean. Sun in / Sun out /Sun in / Sun out. Without TTL and a little experience I would not have been sucessfull with these photo's.

My point is: Practice / Practice / Practice & know exactly what your camera and flash will or will not do!!!! Then Practice some more.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7

Hi Ronnie,
thanks for all the advice. now i knw what i need to do is bring the camera and shoot outdoor photog.
i'll try it now and if any prob then i post to ask again.

thanks

Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:20 PM   #8

Hi Ronnie,

Your photos seems me to "Flat - Lifeless"...why?

I decided to attach, as a example; a photo of my second daughter, with my dog, this specific photo I add a "Barely fill in", flash inside the camera not any add on hot shoe type :P

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:50 PM   #9

It is probably due to how small I have to make them to load onto Steves site. I always do prints of 11 X 14 or larger prints. When I print them on glossy premium photo paper on my Epson 1280 they come out great. Almost 3d like. I even notice the wedding photo on the beach looks not as good on this site as it does in print but the 12 X 18 I printed was perfect on paper.

I may not be downsizing properly to send over the web. I don't know.

Your photo on this site is extremly red without a whole lot of color on my screen. I'll bet it is great on paper. The dof is very nice.

Ronnie
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:29 AM   #10

Dear Ronnie,

It's not 100% true...I check the "White Balance"...& was 100% good.

I "Always"...download my photos to the Picasa 2.5.0 photo organizer...a free software from Goggle, & make PP...before I send by E-mail or made some photos mostly "Postcard" size in our local Mini-Lab.:P

Peace.

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote