Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:50 PM   #1

Default Coolpix 4300 with a external slave flash

I take a look of pictures in dim light (indoor parties) and was wondering if any owners of the Coolpix 4300 have tried an external slave flash with their camera? The 4300 can be set-up using a Nikon SK9 bracket with the SB30 flash. This will cost about $135.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:06 PM   #2

I donít know if your cam preflash , I used my CP950 (which does not preflash) very often with an external flash coupled with a normal flash cell .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 8:06 AM   #3

The Speedlight SB30 is designed to be used as a slave flash with the CP 4300. It appears that no one currently uses the flash due to the lack of responses.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 6:44 PM   #4

Bob,
according to this article, the 4300 does preflash (you should see for yourself since you have the cam):
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dig_strobes.html
Quote:
Nikon Coolpix 800, 880, 885 and 4300, utilize a preflash system
It appears to me that the Nikon 4300 doesnít have any external flash connection way ( no hotshoe, no connector) so, the only way to use an external flash is a slave with the capability of recognizing the preflash

The Speedlight SB30 specs has no mention about canera with preflash , they mention only ď For Nikon 35mm and Digital SLRs PLUS select Coolpix cameras ď
(in fact, itís meaningless, you can use it with almost any cameras with a hardware triggering (hotshoe, connection cord) if the trigger voltage is ok for the camera).
Meaning the SB30, in your case, has no advantage over other flashes in this regard.

I see 2 ways for you to use an slave external flash:

1) any flash , SB30 or others, with a wein flash cell , a device designed to trigger your flash at the right burst.
http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
Quote:
WEIN DIGITAL BATTERYLESS SMART SLAVES are designed to ignore the preflash or flashes and to fire any remote slaved flash in perfect synchronization with the on board digital camera flash.
2) use a Digislave flash which has the preflash slaving features already incorporated in the flash
http://www.srelectronics.com/
You can also set that Digislave to behave as a normal dumb slave ( ie fire at the first and single flash burst) to use with camera without preflash (if you own other cameras). I guess this way is more compact and economic (?).

The bracket is out of my consideration, in your case, it only provide a physical fixation.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote