Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1

I have an old Sunpak Auto 144 Thyristor flash. Is this flash of any use to me with my Canon rebel xt? I want to get a newexternal flash, but can this flash be used as a slave orsomething? It has a pc cord also. I know very little about flashes:!:
fingo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:40 PM   #2

Yes it should work as a manual flash. I use a button type slave sensor that the built in camera flash triggers.

There may be an issue with the trigger voltage though. I'm looking into this issue now.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3

My computer is on the blink. I just tried to send back a reply but I don't know if it got thru. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:15 AM   #4

fingo18 wrote:
Quote:
I have an old Sunpak Auto 144 Thyristor flash. Is this flash of any use to me with my Canon rebel xt? I want to get a newexternal flash, but can this flash be used as a slave orsomething? It has a pc cord also. I know very little about flashes:!:
Any flash may be used as a slave providing you have a slave sensor with a hotshoe fitted. ignore the cord. DO not fit this old flash directly to your camera
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure whether to use it directly on my camera or not.:?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6

I recommend the Sunpak Digital Camera Flash Adapter (see link). I bought one for my old Vivitar flash and it works. I use it with both my Rebel XT and my A75. You can trigger it using the on-camera flash. You can play with the flash exposure compensation for the on-camera flash to use the on-camera flashfor fill andyour external flash as the main light source. Note thatyou don't need to attach the bracket to the camera, you can set it up on a tripod or leaning on a support off to the side of the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:45 AM   #7

Hey, that is just what I needWill theSunpak flashgo off by other peoples flash? I'll probably use it for my grandson's basketball games. Thanks for the information and link.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:52 AM   #8

Yes, other people's flashes will trigger your slave, depending on how well the light sensor on the slave unit "sees" their flashes. That's the big disadvantage to optical slaves at events where other people are taking pics. I've never used my slave unit for subjects like basketball games, i.e. distant subject in a very large room, but hopefully there will be enough light bouncing back from the heads of the people in front of you to trigger the flash (even if their heads aren't in your frame because your lens is zoomed onto the court, the on-camera flash will still illuminate them). Can the power on your Sunpak flash be set manually? You might get better results setting the power manually rather than using the auto thyristor for that type of shot.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9

Yes, the sunpak can be set manually. I'll try it this Friday night at his game. He's only in the 1st grade and they play at the YMCA court that isdivided in half by a big drop down canvas divider. So hopefully I'll get some use out of that old flash, and be able to save a bunch of moneyI tried out a Promaster dedicated flash for my rebel xt, it didn't work all the time. Sometimes when I put it on the camera, I'd have to take it off and put it on about 3 times before it would connect and flash.I returned it to Click Camera. Thanks again for your help.