Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:02 PM   #1

First post.

I have a Metz 45CL3 flash that I have used for years with my 35mm SLRs. However I have recently moved into the digital era and purchased an Olympus SP510-UZ camera. I love the specs on this camera, but one problem is this camera does not have a hot shoe. My question: is there an adaptor that will work with my Metz flash so that it will function like a slave flash firing off of the camera's onboard flash?

If not, what slave flash would you recommend considering I will be taking action shots of a basketball team from up to 75 feet?

Thanks,
Jim
jereece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:32 PM   #2
Administrator

Most digital cameras use aquickpreflash to help judge the length of the main flash burst needed. This is not a redeye reduction preflash. It's a metering preflash.It's needed because the sensors are too reflective to meter from during the flash exposure like you could do with OTF (off the film) metering.

You may not notice it (it's probably only about 100ms before the main flash). But, it's there on the vast majority of digital cameras. So, it's best to use a slave trigger designed to detect and ignore any preflashes. Ditto if you decide to get a slave flash (it will need to be "digital aware".

Wein makes slave trigger that can ignore preflashes.Chancesare, it would work OK to trigger your Metz.

Just keep in mind that anyone elses strobe going off nearby can also trigger it. So, a better solution is a camera with a sync port (or a hotshoe that you can get an adapter for to give it a sync port). ;-)

It's $34.95 at B&H

Wein Digital Peanut Slave Trigger

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply and recommendation.

If I should just decide to purchase a new slave flash, do you have any recommendations? What do you think about the Digi-Slave 3000from srelectronics.com?

I really appreciate the recommendations.

Jim
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4

The Metz is a more powerful flash, and you need all the power you can get for the pictures you want to take. I would stick with the Metz and get the Wein peanut. I am concerend about the subject being so far away that the reflected light from your cameras pre-flash will not be strong enough for the Wein to "see" and trigger the Metz. But it's definitely worth a shot. The previous poster had a good point about other peoples cameras triggering your flash, but you can't get away from that unless you have a camera with a pc connectionor aradio slave and a camera with a hot shoe.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:57 PM   #5

Thank you for the reply. I looked at the Wein peanuts. They look like the connectors are male. The PC cord that attaches to my Metz 45-CL3 flash is also male. So I am not surethe Wein Peanut would connect to my PC cord.I will email them and see.

Thanks,
Jim