Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:25 AM   #1

Default New Flash Recommendation

I currently have an Oly E-10 and want to get a better (more powerful and versatile) flash than the one on the camera. Need some suggestions. Please take into account that I will probably be replacing the E-10 when I retire from my current position in about 3 1/2 years and try to do something professionally in photography. Going to school now . Thanks, Steve
Swandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 3:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandy
I currently have an Oly E-10 and want to get a better (more powerful and versatile) flash than the one on the camera. Need some suggestions. Please take into account that I will probably be replacing the E-10 when I retire from my current position in about 3 1/2 years and try to do something professionally in photography. Going to school now . Thanks, Steve
Hi Swandy,
Some of my opinions:
- If you may not consider Olympus camera line in the future , it’s not worth considering the FL-40 (and alike dedicated flash) , although it’s one way to have the most of automatic features.
- A “neutral” approach would be considering a flash which suit your needs , now and in the future (as long as you can imagine what you want in a flash) , ie a flash that offers you the most manual control , and a wide range of automatic aperture mode ( the so called “auto-thyristor” thing) . Such a flash will fit any cameras with a minimum accessories/adapters.
- If you like “bracket mount flash” , a suggestion is the Metz line like the 45CT4/CL4 . You can even get a used one for not much over 200$, and it’s a real good flash that made it’s proof over years.
- If you like a more modest approach, something like the Vivitar 285HV may be a good choice , also with both manual and auto settings . (recently discussed here )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:44 AM   #3

I use a Vivitar 185 on my Oly E-20, and on my D100... Come to think of it, I'm not sure I would know what to do with any other flash...
Val
valerien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:35 AM   #4

Before buying a flash for my E-10 I already knew that my next camera would be a Nikon digital, so I purchased a Metz 54MZ-3 with the SCA-3202 module specific for Olympus digital cameras. The flash was more powerful and more versatile than the FL-40, though more expensive as well, but would allowe me to get a Nikon module to use that same flash on Nikon cameras later on. However, Metz did not make a specific module for Nikon digital (I only found out later), instead opting to make a Nikon specific flash, the 54MZ-4. I think that was a mistake on their part, and I didn't buy Metz when purchasing a flash for my current D100. I did however purchase a SCA-3402 Nikon module for film bodies, as I use an F5 at work, as well as an older N4004s at home. So for your E-10, making the purchase of a new flash in consideration of a different camera in the future, perhaps Metz is not the way to go. Do you need TTL or can you work with the flash in manual mode all the time? If you see about 3.5 years of use ahead prior to starting a professional career, perhaps it's conceivable to spend a little more now for TTL. I used my E-10 for 2+ years before getting the D100 and entering the wedding industry. I know of someone that does weddings with his E-10 quite successfully, but I needed, and wanted, to go back to my Nikon roots (I also lusted for AF-S lenses :lol. Check the Olympus E Series SLR forum here or dpreview.com's Olympus SLR forum for more ideas on what flash units people are using, and how satisfied they are with them. The 54MZ-3 was a perfect combination with my E-10, alas Metz did not follow through and designed a module for Nikon digital for my needs.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote