Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:29 PM   #1

Iuse Canon 30D and Canon 580EX. In difficult indoor lighting situations I use "M" setting on the camera and automatic on flash with speed set at 1/125 or 1/60. Aperture setting is 5.6 or 8.0 with spot metering.I use FEL button most of the time to insure area of interest is properly expose. Even then some times it is hard to get it right where contrast is too high like white gown and black tux.

I have not tried "evaluative metering" in this set up and I don't know if it would be better?

What are the practical suggestions for settings in getting better exposed photos?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:24 PM   #2
NHL

For difficult lighting situation like white gown and black tux you might not want to use any of the evaluative mode...
(no real good area for the camera to meter on from a distance with FEL button either - i.e. neutral skin tone)

-> You might want to use the average mode of the flash instead :idea:
It's under C.Fn-14 set it to 1 - The flash exposure will then be averaged over the whole scene instead, very much like the old Auto mode in the Metz or older flash with a photo sensor only which doesn't use TTL!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:22 PM   #3

Thank you for the response. I will definitely try it next time.

Are there any books on Canon 30D and flash photography with it that I can read and get better use of 580EX with this camera?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:18 PM   #4

http://photoworkshop.com/canon/check out canons digital learning center under tips and tech./ EOS speedlite tips. Some good info there.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

also has a TON of info, some a bit dated, some updated re the EOS flash systems. TTL, ATTL, ETTL, ETTL II, etc. etc. Deep, but a good place for info, tips, compatibility, how-to.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote