Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:34 AM   #1

Reposted from Canon forum:

Greetings fellow Canon shooters Merry Christmas!

I am a husband of one and father of two, and purchased a Powershot G6 two years ago to capture those family moments you want to remember with pictures. That being said because I want you to know I am NOT a professional photographer, and reply much on the automatic settings on the camera to make my pictures look good.

I have played with white balance settings, and timed exposures for night shots and have some really beautiful pics taken this way.

One thing I am utterly sick of is the constant red-eye in my indoor pictures, along with ugly flash lighting. I was told that using an external flash farther away from the lens will help this problem somewhat. For this reason, I would like to purchase a Speedlite before Christmas.

From my research, I like the 430ex due to price and capability, but would appreciate input from you who have actually used these lights. I don't know for sure how much of the technology the G6 will be able to take advantage of, so I didn't want to overspend on features that won't be utilized.

Thanks in advance for your replies! It was Steve-Digicam's review of the G6 that influenced me enough to purchase it, and figured this would be a good place for further advice.

Rob
RobSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:11 PM   #2

430 ex would be fine, maybe an off camera shoe cord 2 and bracket also ifyou get very far away from subject. You should only need to keep the flashside of7 degrees or so. 430ex is good bang for the buck, has manual flash if you wish, exp comp, 2nd curtain which all work with g6 I believe. Check features on 430ex vs g6 features. 430ex doesn't have the ability of the 580 or 550 ex to fire a slave, otherwise it is a nicer size for the g6. My 580ex is huge on my 30d and I have not put it on since I got the 430ex. I guess it will just stay at home where I do two flash shots.
Tumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:13 PM   #3

I am sorry, I missed the preview button. I meant to say "outside" of 7 degrees or so.
Tumak is offline   Reply With Quote