Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 25, 2006, 3:45 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm a complete newcomer to all this. My current camera is an S5500 - I did love it, but found that the flash whitewashed portraits of my son. I've recently ordered an S9600 and wanted to look into ordering a flash which would perform better in this area. I haven't a clue where to start, though. I can see that the trigger voltage needs to be less than 400v, but unfortunately I don't know what that means Is there a good, VERY BASIC website I can go to which will advise me on what I'm looking for? Or indeed, does anyone have personal experience advice? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Quackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:28 PM   #2

I just bought an S9100 (same model; I think this is number in Canada/USA). I'm using an old Vivitar 2500; works well. Fujifilm cameras can handle any flash with voltage up to 400V. This is exceedingly high. Many flashes put out 6-12V and some newer cameras can only handle flashes with that low output. I would imagine the S9100 can handle the voltage of the vast majority of the flashes on the market.

P.S. you probably don't need to buy a new flash. Used ones will do everything new ones do. Just do google search on external flash fujifilm.
leblancj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:29 AM   #3

Hi!

If...you are looking for a brand new flash...go forward for the superb Sunpak 383.

Will work extremely well with your Fuji newer camera~

Peace,

Alex007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:31 PM   #4

thanks for the advice Alex. I'll check it out. I'm not totally happy with my Vivitar 2500 flash but perhaps it's because it is very old. I wonder if flash diodes lose potency over time or the detection of flash intensity becomes inaccurate?
leblancj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:33 PM   #5
Administrator

leblancj wrote:
Quote:
I'm not totally happy with my Vivitar 2500 flash but perhaps it's because it is very old. I wonder if flash diodes lose potency over time or the detection of flash intensity becomes inaccurate?
This may not have anything to do with your flash issues. However, the capacitor can lose it's ability to hold a full charge over time which can impact your flash exposure. But, there is a procedure for "reforming the capacitor".

See the "Storing the Flash Attachment" section near the bottom of this article for more details. Basically, you want to turn on the flash, wait four or five minutes, then fire the flash about 6 or 8 times, waiting about 20 seconds between each burst, then turn if off after it's fully charged again for storage (and repeat this procedure periodically).

http://www.apogeephoto.com/mag2-6/mag2-9st2.shtml

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:38 PM   #6

Hi!

Yes, maybe...really I don't know if that happens...sorry!:P

If i recall well a new Sunpak 383 cost around $:80.00 which really, is 100% worthy!

BTW...the article that Jim add on his reply...I read/study it & yes...sorry i forgot...I do such "Capacitor" refresh, 3 times at year...but as I'm an 4 decades photographer...what i do is a "Rutine"...so i forgot to recommend you the same...! Accept my apologies. Thanks!

Good Luck,

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:52 AM   #7

Hi good fellas,

Just got the fuji s9600(9100 feb 28 ) and tried my Sunpak MZ440AFwhich i used itfor my nikon f601. It seems to be too much powerful and overexposes my images. Till now the only remedy was that i put the camera manual mode set iso80 speed 200 f7.1 to be in a room of 11 by 18 feet and the pictures come fairly good to my taste. Also i noticed that you have to lower the brightness of the LCD because you will see a beautiful picture but when you transfer it to computer you will have some dissapointment. Still i need to buy a good flash which does have a synchronize socket for which it can communicate with the camera, or the socket is there only to trigger the flash?Any ideas please apart the sunpak 383?

regards

Alan
alanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:46 AM   #8
Administrator

alanray wrote:
Quote:
Just got the fuji s9600(9100 feb 28 ) and tried my Sunpak MZ440AFwhich i used itfor my nikon f601. It seems to be too much powerful and overexposes my images.
That's because it's a dedicated flash and doesn't have a built in sensor with an Auto mode to terminate the flash when it sees enough reflected light for the aperture range selected (which you can do with a non-dedicated Sunpak like the 383 Super). Your Sunpak is reliant on communication via the extra pins from the camera body to instruct it. You don't have that with your Fuji (it's only using the center pin).

Most of the time, a dedicated flash like this is going to fire at full power if you try to use one with an ISO standard shoe with no extra communication, with no way to control it's output.

Quote:
Still i need to buy a good flash which does have a synchronize socket for which it can communicate with the camera, or the socket is there only to trigger the flash?Any ideas please apart the sunpak 383?

It's only used to trigger the flash. There is no communication with a flash with your Fuji, other than to trigger it. Fuji doesn't have a proprietary flash system that can talk to a flash for camera settings, etc.

So, a flash is not going to communicate with the camera body (except for triggering it) and it won't know what settings the camera is using.

So, the best way to use an external flash is to go with Manual Exposure on the camera.

An Auto Thryistor type flash with a built in sensor to measure reflected light during the exposure is your best bet (that's the category the Sunpak 383 Super falls inito). Basically, you set the camera's aperture and ISO speed to match what the flash tells you to use for the selected Auto Range (most have multiple auto ranges you can pick from), and let the flash control the exposure by terminating it's own output when it sees enough reflected light for the range selected.

The 383 Super has tilt, swivel, 3 auto aperture ranges, manual power settings and more.

You can sometimes find older models with similar specs for much less. For example, I got a Sunpak 333 Auto (similar specs to the 383 Super + the 333 Auto has a manual zoom head) for only $25 from the used department at http://www.bhphotovideo.com a while back.

The Vivitar 285HV is another model to look at. It's got tilt but no swivel.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:09 AM   #9

HI Jim,

Thanks alot for your help. Will treasure your information and hope in the near future to buy one ASAP or at least try one to see some results! thanks again for the tips. I'll keep in touch.

regards

Alan
alanray is offline   Reply With Quote