Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 25, 2006, 8:06 PM   #1

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie here, and if I'm not in the right place, please point me in the right direction.

I have a gig coming up that will require a lot of candid shots with flash -- nothing posed, not a studio situation. I'm looking for tips about how best to handle the lighting -- flash help, accessories, tips -- anything really.

I use a Canon Rebel XT and since I generally do nature work, I don't have any special gear as yet.

Any advice at all is appreciated,
zhak
zhakora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2006, 9:38 PM   #2

Does "gig" mean you're being paid for the shots? If so (& they may be used anywhere the public can view them), make sure the people you are shooting know it (a LARGE release sign needs to be posted in plain view near any entrance, saying something like "Photographs are being made here. By entering this area, you are consenting to have your photograph taken and possibly published"....the same thing is what they post in areas where films are being made & the public might get into a shot.

First of all, I would get an off camera dedicated flash that doesn't use a pre-flash. Also get a handle mount for it (like a Strobofram flip-flash) and use a reflector like the one found here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

Practice in the same conditions prior to the shoot so you don't look like a doof. And don't get people to look directly at you when your shooting......nothing looks more like a snapshot than a bunch of people grinning at you when make a shot.

Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:45 AM   #3

Hi Zhak,

Get a stroboframe pro-T(10 inches)or a Press-T( 8 inches)bracket which will get the flash10 or8 inches above the lens. You will need a TTL sync cord to attach the flash to the camera.

When I do a party or a large business meeting I use aperture preferred and open my lens all the way. Flash set to TTL, and ISO is set depending on how dark the room is. I usually start at ISO 200. Center weight meter seems to work fine for Me. I have used spot meter to do Podium shots and it works perfect. A little common sense on what your camera and lens can do helps.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4

I have read good comments about the LumiQuest Promax system, but it requires a relatively low ceiling as part of the light is bounce.

I got this one because of the simplicity and cost: http://www.lumiquest.com/lq873.htm It might not be as good as a homemade unit but it works fine. It is still better to have the flash on a bracket, but that isn't quite as critical with a diffuser.

The one tip I would give for what you are doing is to set the camera before you aim it. Give yourself a little extra space so you don't have to mess with the zoom. If you watch an experienced pro working a room the camera fires almost as soon as it reaches his eye. You get great expressions that way. Mess with the camera after aiming it and you will get painted smiles or worse.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

I prefer a softbox type difuser rather than anytype of bounce flash. If you are using bounce lighting and you don't have a white ceiling or wall to bounce the flash off of, you bounce the color of the wall or ceiling into your picture. Also the height of the ceiling as Slipe stated comes into play. LumiQuest makes a pretty good one. I have one called the Thor Micro Box the slips right over my flash unit. They do take away a stop or two of light, but that is usually not a problem. I've used it for wedding receptions,parties, even protraits when on location.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:23 AM   #6

Hello everybody,

I wanted to thank you all for your help & good advice. I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn (I haven't "studied" flash lighting for years because I generally do nature photos) but you've helped make the learning curve a bit less steep.

Thanks so much,
zhak
zhakora is offline   Reply With Quote