Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:12 PM   #1

I am thinking of getting a second flash unit to improve my flash photography in large halls. I use 580EX on my Canon 30D today with a bounce set up but that leaves people farther away in darkness.

I am on a budget and don't want to spend too much money on it. Would a second flash on a tall stand help? Would Sigma EF 500 DGbe good for that set up? What kind of stand and how tall would be needed.

AmI totally off?What wouldbe a better way to do it.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:13 PM   #2

One flash on a tall stand won't do a lot (Playboy uses between 30-40 lights for a shoot in one room). Your best bet would be a long throw Fresnel like used by film & stage crews. Better still, for really dramatic multi-directional lighting in a large room, think multiple slave flashes.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:22 PM   #3
NHL

An EF-500DG would probably not do it since the 580EX is already slighly more powerful...

Multiple heads like Kalypso has suggested is probably best, but if you have to live with 1 flash on a tall stand then a used Q-Flash might work since this device is at least several time more powerful (and cast a wider spread) than the EX's

Trust me, you never have enough flashes: :-) :lol: :G

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:05 PM   #4

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
One flash on a tall stand won't do a lot (Playboy uses between 30-40 lights for a shoot in one room). Your best bet would be a long throw Fresnel like used by film & stage crews. Better still, for really dramatic multi-directional lighting in a large room, think multiple slave flashes.
I googled Fresnel lights and got a huge selection of them. For lighting up a hall of say 100x150 feet what kind of Fresnel light will be recommended? Also, canI do with 2 slave flashes if going slave flash route? I am on a budget and don't want to go overboard with expenses. After all it is just a hobby and not planning to make any money on it yet...:G

NHL wrote:
Quote:
An EF-500DG would probably not do it since the 580EX is already slighly more powerful...

Multiple heads like Kalypso has suggested is probably best, but if you have to live with 1 flash on a tall stand then a used Q-Flash might work since this device is at least several time more powerful (and cast a wider spread) than the EX's

Trust me, you never have enough flashes: :-) :lol: :G
I searched for Q-Flash and there are many to choose from. What model would you recommend for a budget price? ThenIwillsearch for used ones on eBay to save some money...

I do appreciate good advice from both of you.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:48 PM   #5
NHL

You're going to be using the Qflash in manual so pretty much any model will do...

The cheaper the better and with a battery pack if possible as 1 purchase
-> This unit is going to be used to fill the ambient of a room with diffuse light so pretty much you set it once and never touch it again

A 2nd flash (not E-TTL) on your camera will do the balance from the front
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:20 PM   #6

NHL wrote:
Quote:
You're going to be using the Qflash in manual so pretty much any model will do...

The cheaper the better and with a battery pack if possible as 1 purchase
-> This unit is going to be used to fill the ambient of a room with diffuse light so pretty much you set it once and never touch it again

A 2nd flash (not E-TTL) on your camera will do the balance from the front
What is the GN for the Qflash models (T/T2 or T4)? Is it 160? I am having hard time reading their spec sheets...