Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

Beginner that I am, I have some questions that the information sheet included with the flash does not answer.

1. There is a Sync Cord that was inside the battery compartment. I do not see what to plug it into-- either on the flash or my camera.

2. The ready light stays amber. Old DSL flash I used to have, the light would turn from amber to green when ready. Tester flashes, but the flash does not fire when the shutter is pressed and released. (becausethe sync cord is not plugged in?? )

3. Instructions said to be sure the "flash mode of the digital camera is set to on." If the camera's own flash is raised, it flashes. Where is "flash mode" setting in menu that must be set to "ON"?

4. I do not understand this - "wireless syncronization" (meaning without the sync cord?) ""If your camera flash emits only one pulse" -- ??? Mycamera's flashfires one flash of light. What is a "pulse"? --- "slide the Mode Selector Switch to the S1 position. If two pulses, to the S2 position."

My apologies for such basic questions. Thanks for you help.

Lumoto

lumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:28 PM   #2
NHL

We need to know what camera and what brand of flash you have...
In order to help
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:37 PM   #3

Thanks. Info is in theheader.:roll:

Flash is Phoenix 992-BZS, Digital Slave Flash

Camera is Panasonic LumixDMCFZ20

Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:51 PM   #4
NHL

From what I've found you can use this flash in two modes (both of which do not need the included sync cord):
1. When mounted to your camera's, the hot-shoe bracket do all the synching
2. When use as a slave, i.e. off the camera, the D92-BZ can sync wirelessly with the camera built-in flash - This is where the switch come in handy because most digital camera will emit a pre-flash (a 'pulse' so quick that you can not see) but will fool the slave flash into firing too soon (you'll know when reviewing the resulting pictures because they are dark as if the flash has not fired at all) before the real flash (the 2nd 'pulse')
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:24 AM   #5

Thanks, NHL.

Since the cord is not necessary, then there's some other reason it's not firing. It's not that it fires prematurely, it doesn't fire at all, unless from the test button. The camera does not cause it to fire.

I have obtained their phone number. They're closed till Monday - probably Tuesday since Monday is a holiday -- and see if they can explain. I don't know if it's faulty of if I'm doing something wrong.

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:30 AM   #6

As a follow-up, I havelearned that the flash, when attached to the bracket mounted to the camerawill work as long as the flash on the camera also flashes. The Sync Cord seems to have no purpose (? curious). However, if the flash is attached to the hotshoe on the camera, it still does not fire. I have verified the setting for ext flash is set to "preset." Guess I'm halfway there.