Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:13 PM   #1

I went to the local camera store with a Minolta Auto 132X flash unit and asked them if it would be safe to mount it onto a new Panasonic FZ50 digicam. Always wanting to make the sale they said they'd recommend not using it as it "may" fry out then newer sensitive digicam electronics?

Anyone know if I can use this flash, and if questionablethe way I can go about checking it out before mounting it onto a camera then looking for survivors?
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2

What the clerks at thestorewere probably referring to is known as flash trigger voltage. I have a Panasonic FZ20 and the flash trigger voltage on it is rated for 24 volts maximum. I don`t know the trigger voltage for the FZ50. It is probably listed in the owners manual. If not, you could always ask in the Panasonic forum down below. You couldalways of course try to contact Panasonic via e-mail and ask them. Here`s a linkon how to check a particular flash unit`s trigger voltage with a simple volt meter.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...rigger+voltage

PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. I measured the trigger voltage on the flashand it's 2vdc. The Botzilla web site listed it at 2.2vdc. Now I just have to hunt down the trigger voltage for the FZ50 but with the flash measuring in at only 2v it's a pretty safe bet I'm safe.

Is there such a thing as having to low of a trigger voltage and that causing any issues?
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:49 AM   #4

Camp I am asks: Is there such a thing as having to low of a trigger voltage and that causing any issues?

Quoting my Nikon CP 5700 manual: "Negative voltages or voltages over 250v applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal operation, but also damage the sync circuitry of the camera or flash."

Nikon gives a trigger voltage range for this camera, so I'm assuming that "negative voltage" refers to voltages smaller than the lower quoted voltage figure.

Of course, Nikon isn't Panasonic, so this may not be an issue for you, but considering the above warning, it might be prudent to check with Panasonic just in case.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:24 PM   #5

Negative voltage means the +/- are reversed. The camera's hot shoe expects a certain polarity on the center pin.

You could use a Wein Safe Sync or similar products to isolate the flash trigger voltage from your camera.

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:50 AM   #6

hhjhhjdr_spock wrote:
Quote:
Negative voltage means the +/- are reversed. The camera's hot shoe expects a certain polarity on the center pin.

You could use a Wein Safe Sync or similar products to isolate the flash trigger voltage from your camera.

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

A negative voltage means the center pin is negative to the body. On an old film camera this would be of no consequence( the trigger capacitor would discharge with incorrect current flow thru the trigger transformer) this would put a negative voltage spike on to the coil around the tube and the flash would not fire, but no damage to the camera. But new cameras could be damaged. Remember that some studio flashes work on the negative voltage principal. :?
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote