Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1

Forgive me if this is old ground. Does anyone know whether attaching a thyristor, non-compatible flash to the Maxxum 5D will automatically deactivate its pre-flash functions? Specifically, if I equip my 5D with an ISO shoe adapter, Wein shoe moiunt Safe-Synch with PC cord outlet and Sunpack 544 handle mount flash connected by PC cord, will the pre-flash functions be deactivated? If this is not automatic, is there any other way to deactivate the functions?
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:32 PM   #2
Administrator

You won't have a preflash with a non-dedicated solution.

BTW, you wouldn't need the safe sync with a Sunpak 544. The trigger voltage is relatively low with that flash.

There's a PC sync port built into this third party FS-1100 equivalent adapter's base (scroll down to the images on the bottom of th page and you'll see it). So, you'd have both an ISO standard hotshoe (like the Minolta FS-1100 gives you), as well as a PC Sync Port. Just be aware that the sync port does not offer any voltage protection like the Minolta PCT-100 would give you if you want to use strobes with higher trigger voltages.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16548&cat=275&page=
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:37 PM   #3

Thanks. I suspected you would be able to handle this question based on other postings from you I have sesn.

At the local camera shop I was told to watch out for ghosting caused by the Sunpak firing on the pre-flash. I imagine they were thinking of a point-and-shoot type digital camera that would not accomodate the non-dedicated flash. Hence the question.

Your comment about the low voltage of the Sunpak 544 helps me kill two birds with one stone. So setting up the Sunpak on the 5D can cost less than $20. Sweet.
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote