Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:19 AM   #1

Howdy Everyone!

I'm currently pphotographing HS Girl's basketball using a Canon 10 D and with a 24-70 mm f 2.8 and a 70-200 mm f 2.8 lenes with a 550 EX on camera flash. I'm having trouble getting good clear photos. I would like to hold the flash off camera, but I have trouble doing so with my left hand. What about flash on a stick? Lately, I have been shooting at 800 and 1600 ISO in Al Servo mode on Av (Apeture Priority) with the shutterspeed at200 (for the 70-200) and 24-70 at 90.

1. How can I get clearer photos?

2. What is the best settings for my camera?

3. How can I make my flash do a better job? Is there a way to synch a faster shutter speed somehow?

I appreciate all your help and comments.

Best,

Jerry
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:05 PM   #2
NHL

TXPhoto wrote:
Quote:
1. How can I get clearer photos?
The problem you're having not getting clear picture is your high ISO setting: :idea:
-> At theses higher setting the ambient light play a big part in your picture since you'll need a faster speed to "freeze" the subject - if you can't then the movements of your subject will render your pictures blurry
Worse when you use the 550EX in High-Speed-Sync the flash do no not freeze the subject and its range is significantly reduced!!!

It's best to lower the ISO to something 400 or less and rely on the flash burst alone to freeze the subject at shutter speed of 1/200s or less:
-> With the camera on manual decrease the aperture to larger value to cut out the ambient, you'll find that the barkground will become darker but the subject will be frozen by the flash pulse alone (even @ 1/60s)

Quote:
2. What is the best settings for my camera?
MANUAL mode - Av will be the worse since you're loosing all control over the shutter speed

Quote:
3. How can I make my flash do a better job? Is there a way to synch a faster shutter speed somehow?
-> When the camera is on MANUAL, the 550EX remains on automatic and you'll have full control over shutter speed and aperture.
BUT you don't want a shutter speed higher than 1/200s, because at higher shutter speed the flash power will be proportionally decreased as the shutter speed is increased above 1/200s - It's best not to use flash over 1/200s (except for portrait fill in daylight) if you need to use higher shutter speeds
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote