Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:28 AM   #11

:whack:From the link above:
Quote:
Metz 45CL-4 Flash

Description
The 45 CL-1 offers 6 tele-computer apertures as well as an additional secondary reflector. Compatible with AF as well as non-AF SLR cameras. The Metz mecablitz 45 CL-4 is capable of various special flash functions thanks to its SCA capability, for example for the AF SLR cameras from all of the leading manufacturers. Guide number 45 for ISO 100/21° and 35 mm focal length. More [+]
They mention the 45CL-1 at the begining, it's a typo error, CL1 and CT-1 do not have secondary reflector.
:flame:

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:50 PM   #12
NHL

Hey there KCan

Metz might "embauche" us as their permanent sales team in theses forum!!!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:23 PM   #13

Whow!! That Metz is a NICE unit. I would love to have one of tose babies any day. However, for the money $660.00 I could buy 2 -3 AB400's and spread them out along the stage or the modeling runway....

I will pick up some kind of a flash difuser but doesn't this take away power form the flash? This is probably why I was told to get the 550EX or the Sigma 500 DG Super. However, I didn't listen to sound advice and baught what I could afford at the time and now I am not happy with it.. The 420 EX is terible, it can't recycle fast enough so when I try to shoot runway or moving subjects the camera keeps up but the flash can't. Sometime it leaves my sutter open so long I miss other shots because the flash didn't fire. Maybe, I don't like flash now because of bad experience with 420EX. I think an external power pack would help this but the 420 or the Sigma don't have external power plugs.

The 550EX although expensive would have been a better buy. External power plug, more power and has manual capabilities. That with a good diffuser and I probably would have been O.K. In any case since I don't have a lot of money I am going to stick with studio strobes and go wireless. No more E-ttl, I will get a light meter...
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:47 PM   #14

You can get a good shape used CL-4 for under 200$ easily, (if you are not alergic to used equipment of course ), but if you want a dedicated module, that will cost something more.

You will never regret getting a Metz. Myself I even get a third one , a used 402 (the old model with the battery pack at the waist) :-D

Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:25 PM   #15
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
Whow!! That Metz is a NICE unit. I would love to have one of tose babies any day. However, for the money $660.00...
1. You did not read us correctly, we both recommended you a "used" 45CL/CT for around $180 (ie ~ the price of your 420EX)

Quote:
I will pick up some kind of a flash difuser but doesn't this take away power form the flash?
2. Remember the Metz has two independent heads? The diffuser is mounted on the main head (or bounced against a wall) while the secondary head stay on the subject... :?

Quote:
I think an external power pack would help this but the 420 or the Sigma don't have external power plugs.
3. I have both the 550EX and 500DG Super and I can tell you that the Sigma recycle faster than the Canon's especially on NiMh AA... Actually too fast for its own good if one is not careful (it now looks like the newer 580EX caught up with the Sigma recycling time)! :shock:

Quote:
... I could buy 2 -3 AB400's and spread them out along the stage or the modeling runway...
4. Aaah, but you'll be carrying 3 extra bags, multi-prong outlets, extension cords, set-up and tear-down time to your truck when we could be sipping cappuccino instead! (Let's keep them where they should be: in the Studio)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:43 AM   #16

Eric,

Bite the bullet and get two flash units. I have a CP5000 and a 10D. I had a really hard time sharing the flash units (420 EX) between the two cameras. Finally I got a mecablitz 34 CS-2 digital flash to use on my CP5000 and to loan to friends with digital p/s cameras without hot-shoes. This unit can work as a simple auto exposure flash on a hot-shoe or connector. It comes with a short cable. It also can work as a slave unit, triggered by the controlling flash. It has a connection unit that allows you to connect it on the tripod mount of any camera and position the flash to the left or right of the camera. It also has a small stand for remote use. The only bad thing I can say is that it is pretty expensive.

bill

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote