Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:07 PM   #1

I here good things about the 54. I have the dreaded Minolta 7D. If I go with a Minolta flash then I risk having exposures all over the place.

The only question is

Why should I not buy one. Other than price.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:30 PM   #2
Administrator

You don't have HSS if you're using it wireless off camera is the limitation I sometimes see mentioned.

If I were buying a new dedicated flash, that's the one I'd probably get. Try to get the newest foot for it. The M7 version of the SCA3302 is out (although it may not have hit the U.S. dealers yet).

Most dealers probably stock the kit with the M5 or M6 version of the SCA3302 foot (and you'll need at least the M5 to work with a 7D). But, any SCA3302 that's M3 through M6 can be upgraded to M7 (which will be the newest and most refined firmware). Bogen Imaging is the Metz authorized service center in the U.S for upgrades. I don't know who they use in Canada for the same purpose if you get an older foot that you want to update.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3

As of now I can't think of a reason to use the flash in wireless mode in bright light (so no need for that function)

I would use it for weddings.

The flash on the front is like having a "better bounce card" or a Gary Fong light sphere on the main strobe?
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:54 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes... Similar concept (small fll in the front, bounce the rest).

I remember getting a flash over 30 years ago that has a small fill light type flash in the front below the main flash head.

I saw it packed away in a box not long ago (within the past few months). It's a K-Mart Focal Brand flash (although I don't know who actually manufactured it for them as Focal is a K-Mart store brand). LOL I didn't relize that K-Mart had been around that long . But, I'm positive it was over 30 years ago when I bought it. So, they must have been around then. I can vaguely remember when I was shopping for a flash then and decided on that one, because I thought the extra flash was a cool idea. :-)

You'd have to play with one and see if you like it. I think I remember reading from users that you could turn it off if desired on a Metz (and the old Focal Brand flash has an on/off switch for it's fill flash).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote