Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if it's safe to use this flash with Panasonic FZ30?
Attached Images

sub_zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:33 PM   #2

You should ensure that the voltage on the hotshoe or PC connector of the flash doesn't exceed the camera specifications. Some of the older flash units can put several hundred volts or the wrong polarity voltage on the hotshoe or PC connector that will fry the camera circuits. Check http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html for details. You should use a WEIN SAFE-SYNC HOTSHOE/HI VOLT SYNCH REG to protect the camera from the flash. It provides both a hotshoe and a PC connector. http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:45 PM   #3

Yeah, according to the site with the strobe voltages, the flash produces about 6.8 Volts, but I saw that it has more connectors on the base and that provoked my question. Anyway, thanks fot the attention
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:41 PM   #4

The big center contact is used to sync the flash to the shutter and is standard. The other contacts are not standard and the function will vary depending on the camera it was meant to work with.

Do you know what brand of camera it was supposed to go with? If it wasn't a Panasonic you could cause your camera to lock up or malfunction because it's putting out the wrong signals on the hot shoe contacts.

Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:15 PM   #5

Hi again,
the man who sells the flash told me it that on the box was written that ut's compatible with the following brands : .
Canon A-1 AE,Minolta XD XG, Nikon EM FE, Olympus OM-2
I would like to know how bad could it happen if my camera "locks up" as you said by trying this flash? I mean is it fatal, cause my camera is still new to me
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:13 PM   #6

The hotshoe only seems to have the center contact so you could be safe to use it on your camera as the extra contacts won't be used. On the downside however, unless this flash has it's own sensor to work automatically you would have to use it manually. That is set the aperture based on the distance and ISO. Automatic operation would allow you to set an aperture and the flash would adjust itself within a certain distance range.