Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:59 AM   #1

I read in the xti review that this camera can't fire an off camera flash. Is there a work around for this??
thanks
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:51 PM   #2

Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2
Developed in conjunction with the Speedlite 550EX and the EOS-3 camera, this master control device for a wireless Speedlite flash system meets professional and advanced amateur standards. Its dedicated transmitter controls up to 3 Canon 550EX Speedlites as slave units 33ft. away outdoors and 49.5ft. away indoors. It is mounted as a clip-on with shoe lock lever and locking pin.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:10 PM   #3

thanks for the quick reply. As I have not purchased the xti yet, would I be correct in assuming that I could add that into the total cost of a camera ( about $150 ). Put into that perspective the Nikon N80 comes back into the ballpark as I believe it has this feature built in.

Is there a chaeper -- maybe wired solution to this?

"thanks again

"Bob
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:26 PM   #4

Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 II is available.

The Nikon D80 can operate as a flash commander with the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 flash units. To quote from the Nikon web page:

"Full support for the Advanced Wireless Lighting System lets the built-in flash function as a two-group remote commander that provides direct control over wireless SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights."
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:58 AM   #5

Two options are:

1) Using a digital optical slave to trigger your flash off-camera. If you set your camera's built-in flash to -2 FEC, it would not impact the overall exposure much and the slave should be sensitive enough to be triggered by the camera's built-in flash. You will lose E-TTL and have to adjust flash exposure yourself.

2) Buy the Canon off-camera hot shoe cord and cut it in the middle and splice in an extension of Cat 6 cable. Hopefully you don't have any short curcuits and fry your $70 cord or $300 flash! This will retain E-TTL with a Canon flash.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote