Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 3, 2007, 7:23 PM   #11

Does sigma support the full Auto focus system or just the center, I thought that was one differernce.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #12
NHL

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
Does sigma support the full Auto focus system or just the center, I thought that was one differernce.
This is only critical if you enable the IR beam from the flash
The many beams projected by the Sigma are just of different patterns from the ones projected by the Canon and they do cover more than just the central AF area

However most users (I for one) turn this beam OFF (through the CF function) as it's kind of an etiquette (and also offensive) to scan people with red lines like merchandises. The camera does not need this beam to focus unless it's a blank wall or something featureless. The AF works just fine even in the dark on textures or people without any IR beam - No one shoot @ blank walls

If you are unable to make use of all the extra features of the Sigma may be the simpler 430EX may be better for you; However noting on how you want to sync-up with other external strobes on the other thread the Sigma is the only device which have a slave sensor built-in...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 6:15 PM   #13

I really like scanning merchandise:|

Seriouly though thank you for the info that helps. Would you mind tackeling the related question in the other thread in regards to strobes versus flashes?

** I also see this accessory for the Sigma 500 a reflector to make it more like a Strobe:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...ls.asp?id=3262

Of course I am sure people could make there Own too. This ones about $20
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 4:30 PM   #14

If I am totally inexperienced on the use of external flashes (but eager to learn and go to next level) could someone boil down these issues about the beams. Use? Pros? Cons? Is there ever ANY other disadvantage to having or not having these beams.

The original question is one, I admit, I'm still left wondering... FOR THE AVERAGE NOVICE... WHICH WOULD BE A BETTER BUY... I can't see a reason to not get Sigma but rarely spend $200+ as blind as I feel here...

Let's say the 580EX is out due to price point and the Sigma "features/price" argument. Sigma is clearly more bang for the buck than the 400 models. I'll peronsally leave out Metz for now as I'm not ready to be the "first guy to get" such as the Metz...

Any reason in the world NOT to get the more feature-rich Sigma? Any reason WHY one should still get the Canon. Perspective, whether I am a sucker to marketing or not, I just always feel more comfortable with matching products, even if I understand I may pay a premium. That said, if the Sigma is that much better...

Again, BOIL DOWN THE BEAM ISSUES...
ANY REASONS NOT TO GET MORE FEATURE-RICH SIGMA?
Any reason to definitely skip Sigma and stay Canon?

(I think I may have even lost myself on this one....)

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:24 PM   #15
NHL

OK - I'm getting curious so I just turn-on the beams for the 1st time to check this out (This go on to show how useless theses "beams" are since I'm been using dSLRs for several years now with theses beams OFF...) :?

The Canons project a wider square patterns (the 580EX has a different pattern than the 550EX), and the Sigma projects a narrower round patterns. They definetely cover more than the center AF point on both Canon or Sigma. The IR beams would not cover the whole frame, so depending on the lens you put on like a wide angle for example, neither brand of flash would cover all the AF points :O

The Canon beams cover a wider area so this is good, but the Sigma beam being narrower is actually much brighter so this is also good because it'll project this beam over longer distances (or brighter room)...

-> No clear winner here:
- If you think you want to select some of the side AF points for focusing (anybody doing that?) then the Canon wider pattern is for you
- If you're like most people here who only use the center AF point for focus then the more powerful narrower beam of the Sigma is more beneficial since this beam go further out (for longer focal lenght for example)
- If you're like me who has never enabled theses IR beams ON then you won't notice a thing... and I have all the flashes above (+ a couple of Metz's)!!! :lol::-):G

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote