Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1

I want to update my flash I currently use a Sunpak 383. What would be a good flash that I can use on my Canon 20D and not break the bank.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:48 AM   #2
NHL

There's a new guy on the block: http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...t/341/647.html

If you don't want to break the bank then there's always the popular Sigma EF-500 DG Super
... and then there's everything else 430EX, 580EX, and the new 580EX

1 - How big is in the bank?
2 - How powerful?
3 - What features set?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:32 AM   #3

I am looking for something to give me some nice fill flash and a little control. The sunpak seems to blow out a lot of my pictures and there is a lot of guess work to get a decent picture.

NHL The bank is small.:?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:10 AM   #4

I use the 550EX and the 580EX on my 20D and 5D...Both work real well, but I also use
a defuser on both...The defuser gives you really good light distribution and you wont
see the blinding hot spots in the shot...I would guess the flash you have now is a good flash...Why not try a defuser before investing in a new flash...They are only 20 bucks...
Omni-bounce.com

:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:26 PM   #5

I have one and use it.

The flash I have now has no automatic type function that helps with exposure or distance of zoom. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I just keep woring with the Sunpak 383 or move on. If you sugest staying with it any advice would be nice. Graduations are comming up and I dont want to mess it up.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:02 AM   #6

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for something to give me some nice fill flash and a little control. The sunpak seems to blow out a lot of my pictures and there is a lot of guess work to get a decent picture.

NHL The bank is small.:?
well, I would probably have to recommend an upgrade, and since the bank is small I would go with the Sigma that NHL suggested. I have the Sigma and it is a great flash with the same features and Canon's 550 and almost all the features of the 580 for about half the price. I wouldn't toss out that sunpack though as you can use it as a second off camera flash.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 7:42 PM   #7

It seems the Metz sells for around $350
The Sigma 500 super for $200
Canon 430 is also around 250

Is the Metz or Canon worth the price diferrence for a Novice. I am interested for family portraits. I actually posted a related question in this forum. I would be using it with a Rebel XT and Tamron 17-50.

It seems the 430 is might be the sweet spot?

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 10:43 PM   #8

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
It seems the Metz sells for around $350
The Sigma 500 super for $200
Canon 430 is also around 250

Is the Metz or Canon worth the price diferrence for a Novice. I am interested for family portraits. I actually posted a related question in this forum. I would be using it with a Rebel XT and Tamron 17-50.

It seems the 430 is might be the sweet spot?
Well the Sigma is amuch better deal than the Canon 430, lots more flash for $50 less. As far as the Metz goes, I can't really say, don't know much about it yet, but it would have to be a lot better for me to pay almost twice as much for. I would rather spend an extra $50 and get two Sigmas instead of one Metz.
Old May 3, 2007, 7:30 AM   #9

When people Say the Sigma Super 500 DG is more flash for the money are we speaking of Quality and features or just Raw Power Output/Guide Number.

The Canon 430EX is not as powerful, but best I can tell for a single Flash set up at somewhat closer range Under (43 feet vs 50) it seems that Canon offers better Focus point compatabilty, somewhat more features, and some what better quality??

In my use I am really only looking for 20 feet (usally even less) most of the time. I am looking for a solution for better indoor family portraits.... Of course I would potentially want to bounce light and or use the built in 3rd party defuser, so at that point I might need the extra power for the defuse or indirect light??
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 2:21 PM   #10

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
When people Say the Sigma Super 500 DG is more flash for the money are we speaking of Quality and features or just Raw Power Output/Guide Number.

The Canon 430EX is not as powerful, but best I can tell for a single Flash set up at somewhat closer range Under (43 feet vs 50) it seems that Canon offers better Focus point compatabilty, somewhat more features, and some what better quality??

In my use I am really only looking for 20 feet (usally even less) most of the time. I am looking for a solution for better indoor family portraits.... Of course I would potentially want to bounce light and or use the built in 3rd party defuser, so at that point I might need the extra power for the defuse or indirect light??
more features, The Sigma has all the features of the Canon 550EX and almost all the same features as The 580EX.