Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:26 PM   #1

I'm not real savvy on the subject or my options, but can anyone recommend an alternative to the $100.00 Canon HF-DC1 for a wireless flash for the A540?? I suspect there may be a few viable alternatives out there for a lil less $$. Recommendations? Thnx
rwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 5:06 PM   #2

Check out my post to another thread as a starting point:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=53

Also check out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1...e_Flashes.html

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...lave%20Flashes

Also, if you have an existing non-slave flash, you can attach it to the Sunpak Digital Flash Adater andget slave capability:

http://www.adorama.com/SUDCFA.html?s...&item_no=3

edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3

rwilliams

Did you try a less expensive flash with your canon? Did you get good results?

I am looking for a less expensivealternative to HF-DC1 for A710 but I am afraid they may not work properly.

Any recommendation, anyone?

Anour
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:02 AM   #4

Slave Flashes are a very good solution. I use them all the time. Bower, SunPak, and Vivitar also make slave flashes that are not as expensive as the Canon Slave Flash.

Here is a photo of a Bower Slave Flash that I use on my Olympus E-300. This setup which combines the output of the E-300's built-in flash, the Bower slave flash, and an ISO setting of 800allows me to take excellent flash photos out to 35 feet and to use a telephoto lens to get close-ups when desired.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:35 PM   #5

Thanks Sarah
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:55 PM   #6

Well fellows, I did buy A710 and an SP Studio Systems slave flash but am very disappointed. When I turn the Slave flash on, the picture is much darker as though none of the flashes fired. Same result with fill flash on the "P" setting.

What am I missing? Any tricks to it?

Thanks for the help

Anour
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:02 AM   #7

I think the slave flash you bought is an older style not designed fordigital cameras. Digital cameras fire a pre-flash (to evaluate exposure) before taking the picture. Then they open the shutter and fire the main flash. Depending on the system, there may be several pre-flashes fired. This happens too quickly for the human to notice usually. A digital slave flash will ignore the pre-flash and will fire when it sees the main flash. A non-digital slave will fire at the first flash it sees, so it fires when it sees the pre-flash, before the camera takes the picture, therefore your picture comes out dark.

Here is a work around. Put your camera in M mode and set the flash output to 1/3 power. In this mode the camera will not fire a preflash because it is not evaluating the flash exposure, you are telling it how strong the flash should be (in this case, 1/3 power). Choose an ISO of 100 and a shutter speed you are comfortable with. Now try taking pictures at different apertures to find the aperture that give a good exposure with the slave flash. If the slave is not triggering consistently, try increasing the camera flash to 2/3 power.

By the way, what model slave flash did you buy?
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:21 AM   #8

Thanks ED, both M and Tv modes worked.

The flash model is Midi Slave GN45

Anour