Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:24 PM   #1

Default Jessops 320 flash and fuji s602

Hi everyone....

I don't want this topic to be boring, and I have been reading all your postings and checking out the flashes that you have all recomended for the fuji s602.

My local photo shop has recomended a Jessops 320, telling me that it is the same as vivitar 383.

I have been searching the net for this flash and specs, but find little.

Does anyone know if the Jessops 320 is appropriate for the fuji s602?
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundengineer
Hi everyone....
Does anyone know if the Jessops 320 is appropriate for the fuji s602?
Soundengineer,
I can’t find any info either. I guess that Jessops is a store chain where you live, so probably they refer to a “house” model number.
The s602 would accept any flashes as long as :
1) The trigger voltage is acceptable by the hotshoe circuit ( as a rule of thumbs, under 10 volts would be ok)
2) Polarity of contacts matches (most of the time)

These 2 conditions make the camera able to “fire” the flash (anyway, there are no other control possibility via the s602 hot shoe)

What you should look for is the features of the flash
- TTL is out of question of course
- Is there several power settings in manual mode ? (presence of some kind of switch labeled “Full”, “1/2” ,”1/4”,”1/8”, etc …

- Is there a Auto-mode ? (presence of a rotary dial/switch labeled with aperture values, and presence of a cell/eye to measure the flash back light )
Even if the flash doesn’t have this mode (auto / auto-thyristor) , it’s possible that you see a rotary dial which is ONLY a calculator dial for distance/aperture/ASA for manual mode use, so be careful.

Ref some recent thread FYI:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10073
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=11550
(there are more older threads about this topic)

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:39 AM   #3

Thankyou for your reply K

I have looked at those threads before and checked out all the flashes mentioned, but with no luck of locating them here.

Now I will take your list with me to the photoshop and check out all the things on the flash that they recomend. It is nice to have something to go by when you are completely in the woods about such things. hehe Thankyou
Old Jul 30, 2003, 4:45 AM   #4

Default Re: Jessops 320 flash and fuji s602

Quote:
My local photo shop has recomended a Jessops 320, telling me that it is the same as vivitar 383.
Are you sure about that the Jessops 320 is a Vivitar 383 rather than a Sunpak 383? To the best of my knowledge, the Vivitar has a 283 while the Sunpak has a 383. Check here for the spec: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/con...u=52799&is=REG

This is a non-dedicated shoe-mount flash, which means it only supports the ISO hotshoe signal: fire only. In other word, the camera only triggers the flash. Stopping the firing of the flash is the job of the photographer. There are two possible ways. One is the pure manual (stone-age) mode in which the photographer calculates the camera aperture (resp., flash-subject distance) from the guide number given the flash-subject distance (resp., aperture) being used. The guide number, GN, of this Sunpak 383 is 120. Although it may be over-rated a little, this 383 has a strong output power.

The second way is to use the on-flash sensor. You simply set the flash to use the aperture being used on your camera. The flash will cut its power off after the illumination becomes sufficient based on the preset aperture. This is usually referred as the Automatic A mode. The Sunpak 383 has three preset aperture values and can also reduce its power to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16. This is a versatile feature for fill flash.

Since this 383 is not dedicated, TTL is not supported. To see how the Automatic and Manual mode can be used with your camera, please take a look at the External Flash section of my Nikon Coolpix 4500 user guide. Although those pages are for the Nikon cameras, the only difference is camera setting and the use of flashes is camera independent.

Hope the 383 is really the Sunpak 383. Even if it is a Vivitar 383, I would believe the difference would be minimal.

Can you order your flash from the US? B&H and Adorama have a very large selection of dedicated and non-dedicated flashes.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:40 PM   #5

SoundEngineer,

Jessops in the UK (www.jessops.co.uk) have a flash gun model 320. It's a dedicated gun for autofocus SLRs with versions for Canon, Nikon and Minolta. It sells for about £55. It doesn't look like either the Sunpak or Vivitar models mentioned above.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:30 PM   #6

I see it now …

Quote:
Details
A great value flashgun offering TTL flash control, AF Illuminator, Bounce and Swivel Head with a 4 position zoom covering 28, 35, 50 and 85mm focal length lenses.

Features
Bounce Yes
Zoom Yes
Swivel Yes
Twin No
Slave No
Hammerhead No
AF Illuminator Yes
Type Dedicated
min details and specs. This model is likely available only as dedicated , but it will probably work on your cam ( as full power, manual).
The AF illuminator is then useless ( but you can add a pushbutton ) .

No GN number mentioned . Looks like it hasn’t manual power control, and no auto mode (just my guest).

Bounce and Swivel Head with a 4 position zoom covering 28, 35, 50 and 85mm focal length lenses : great !
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Brand VIVITAR
Product Name 285 FLASH UNIT
Jessops Code VIV285
Jessops Price £99.90

Next model down 283 FLASH WITHOUT SENSOR CORD £20.00 less
Details

Guide number: 36 (ISO 100/m) at 50mm
4 auto f/stop settings
Auto thyristor circuitry
Vertical bounce flash
Zoom flash head
Variable power control with optional VP-1
Remote sensor capability
Sufficient light indicator
Illuminated calculator dial
Power source: 4 AA batteries, NC-3 NiCad
Battery or SB-4 110V AC adapter

Guide No. (at ISO 100/m) 36
Bounce Yes
Zoom Yes

Soundengineer,
www.jessops.co.uk (thanks fenlander) has the Vivitar 285, which is IMHO , a far better choice . At £100 you get auto mode with 4 settings .
Old Jul 31, 2003, 3:15 AM   #8

Good news! I found the vivitar 283 flash! The question is, do I need an adapter or can I just attach it straight to my camera?

Oh and by the way, I wanted to thank all of you for your engagement in this topic. I appreciate your help very much!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Good news! I found the vivitar 283 flash!
Soundengineer,
I was talking about the 285 model ( not the 283) . 283 model may have high trigger voltage ( the old production batch, I guess) , but the 285 sure is safe.

Quote:
The question is, do I need an adapter or can I just attach it straight to my camera?
Yes, straight on
(Later, you may want to add a bracket to mount it further from the camera.)
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:12 PM   #10

I went to the man who imports the vivitar flashes today... (The 285 is not imported here).... and we were sitting in his office trying to find out what the trigger voltage was, because it sure did not say so on the specifications....hmmm.....hehe....and he was not even sure what trigger voltage was, (hehe, and to be honest, neither am I, but I can imagine myself to it)
So we scrathced our heads and called fuji.....and they did not know either....but would find out.
And they decided that it was fine. I still have not tried the flash....Yikes, it is somehow scary...hehe

Thankyou for your interest kcan. I appreciate it.