Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 24, 2007, 9:54 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a decent external flash.I've checked out the popular Sigma EF-500 DG ST and some of the Canon speedlites. I know some of them are dedicated units, but does that mean i can't use it with the Fujifilm S9100? I understand it won't communicate with my camera, but that's ok, there isn't a flash on the market that will with this particular cameraas far asI know.

I'm also interested in Sunpak if anyone can tell me a little bit about their reliability.
spadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 4:41 PM   #2

My s9500 performed seamlessly with an ebay Nikon SB-25.. cost pennies!!

I had only one complain that I cant say if it is in the 9100... the camera did not alter its settings when you told it there was an external flash in aperture priority mode..

I found it worked best in this setting.. say setting camera and flash to f5.6 ... the in camera meter still decided at night that a 3 second exposure was necessary despite the settings having external speedlight connected...
for this it was down to full manual... and to be hoenst every time i used the flash in different situations i needed 2 or 3 practice shots to get exposure perfect (a problem which does not exist in my D80)... otherwise..... all great!
ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:05 PM   #3

spadam wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a decent external flash.I've checked out the popular Sigma EF-500 DG ST and some of the Canon speedlites. I know some of them are dedicated units, but does that mean i can't use it with the Fujifilm S9100? I understand it won't communicate with my camera, but that's ok, there isn't a flash on the market that will with this particular cameraas far asI know.

I'm also interested in Sunpak if anyone can tell me a little bit about their reliability.
I'm thinking about buying a s9100 myself. If I do I will be useing it with my Sunpak 333 which I buaght in 1983 I'd call that reliable. It also gives great automatic resaults (no detication)
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:25 PM   #4

ceecrb1 wrote:
Quote:
My s9500 performed seamlessly with an ebay Nikon SB-25.. cost pennies!!

I had only one complain that I cant say if it is in the 9100... the camera did not alter its settings when you told it there was an external flash in aperture priority mode..

I found it worked best in this setting.. say setting camera and flash to f5.6 ... the in camera meter still decided at night that a 3 second exposure was necessary despite the settings having external speedlight connected...
for this it was down to full manual... and to be hoenst every time i used the flash in different situations i needed 2 or 3 practice shots to get exposure perfect (a problem which does not exist in my D80)... otherwise..... all great!
Your 9500 (or the 9100) does not comunicate with the flash so the only thing the exturnal flash setting does is modify the EXIF data and possibley hold the shutter speed within sinc range.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 9:08 AM   #5
Administrator

You'll want a non-dedicated flash. Most of the dedicated units either won't let you control their power output at all, or it will be difficult to use because you'll be tweaking the power settings often.

There are a few exceptions (some dedicated models have a built in sensor to measure reflected light and can be used with the flash controlling it's own output).

But, your best bet is a non-dedicated model with multiple auto ranges. That way, you just set the camera and flash to match for aperture and iso speed, and the flash controls it's own output by measuring the amount of reflected light for the aperture range selected and terminating it's own output when it sees enough light.

A popular model in a new flash would be the Sunpak 383 Super. The Vivitar 285HV would be another one to look at (and there are many more).

You can usually find non-dedicated Sunpaks on the used market for a relatively good price, too. For example, a I got a Sunpak 333 Auto with 3 Auto Ranges, tilt, swivel, manual zoom head, manual power settings and more from the used department at B&H for $25 (as new in the box) a while back.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6

spadam wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a decent external flash.I've checked out the popular Sigma EF-500 DG ST and some of the Canon speedlites. I know some of them are dedicated units, but does that mean i can't use it with the Fujifilm S9100?
Do not buy a Canon EX series flash. It will not work at all. Canon flash units have no compatibility outside of being used with the cameras they were designed to work with...Canon cameras. They have no provisions for non-TTL auto or any other mode that could possibly be used by a non-Canon body.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 12:25 AM   #7

thanks for all the feedback. i've been looking at a few models, suggested here, on ebay. i want swivel, so the vivitars are out, but the sunpak looks to be a good bet, but i can't find any comprehensive photos of the 383 super. it's seems to be in my price range. also, i like the appearance of the nikon sb-25. i like the digital display. this of course, may only be vanity. can someone advise on this?

i still would like to see pics of the sunpak 383 super if someone could direct me to some.

another question i have concerns flashes of this sort on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

this particular one may not be compatible, though it looks to be, but i'm wondering how good they are. trustworthy? or should i stick with a name brand which i'm apt to do?
Old May 31, 2007, 1:09 AM   #8
Administrator

That's a reputable seller based in Hong Kong.

You can also buy directly from the web site at http://www.gadgetinfinity.com (I'd compare the Ebay and web site prices and see which one is lower).

But, I don't have any experience with the flashes offered.

On the surface, that one looks like a typical auto thyristor type flash. It's a little tough to tell exactly what it's got from looking at the photos though (manual power settings, number of auto ranges, etc.).

As for the Sunpak, vendors will have photos of it online:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uto_Flash.html

Old May 31, 2007, 11:13 AM   #9

what's the benefit of "twin flash" ?

andofa digital display, any benefits to that?
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:06 AM   #10
Administrator

I've only got one flash with a separate bulb for front fill. It's an old Focal (K-Mart) brand flash. I haven't used it in many years. But, it seemed to help a bit with fill when bouncing the main flash.

As for a digital display, I don't own any flashes with one. Most non-dedicated flashes will use an older style control system.