Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 8, 2003, 6:40 AM   #11
NHL

Quote:
"AUTO and ON" will appear with automatic flash. Only "ON" will appear with fill-flash.
Now I get it! (I didn't even notice it myself until you brought it up!)
On all D7's you will never get the Auto symbol to lit up ON and OFF appears alternatively as this button on the 5600HS is pressed...

On my 9xi (film SLR) however without a built-in flash if you press the 5600HS ON/OFF button, Auto will light up alternatively with ON when the camera is in the 'P' program mode! IMO the 5600HS acts now like a built-in flash camera on Auto and will only fire when needed in the Program mode. In ON however it will always fire! (that's why on the D7's ON it will always fire as well) "Only From The Mind Of Minolta" 8)

Quote:
I'm a Dimage 7 owner contemplating the purchase of a Minolta 3600 HS (D). Do the same features apply to that combo? Thanks!
The same features apply to the D7/3600 HS combo except you don't have a rear LCD panel, but LED indicators instead. Wireless TTL flash is also not possible with the D7, but available on the D7i and D7Hi...

BTW you also have another option:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ighlight=sigma

It's priced like the 3600HS but have the features (and power) of the 5600HS!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the reply. If I buy the Sigma EP-500, and later buy a Dimage 7i or 7Hi, can the Sigma do TTL mode like the OEM Minolta 3600?
Boomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:06 AM   #13

LOL - I could tell we were talking different things !

Now, I just need to know if the AF illuminator is supposed to come in the dark with a 7Hi, if so, the unit needs to go back cause it dun't.
satyricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:17 AM   #14
NHL

The Sigma 500DG will not just be TTL compatible with the D7/i/Hi but it will also work in TTL wireless mode, just like OEMed (ie the D7 does not have wireless capability, but the the D7i and D7Hi do)... In fact I'm planning on getting several units to use as wireless slaves for my 10D, which it is also compatible with (I don't know how yet since the bottom sync socket is different! :lol: )

The AF illuminator is not needed with the D7's. The IR beam turns on just fine with the 9xi film camera though...
The AF illuminator will flash only when the 5600/3600HS are in the wireless mode to indicate that they are ready to fire... and blink faster after they have fired in the wireless mode to indicated that they have synched up properly. The flash icon in the EVF also flashes on/off (BTW did you guys notice the color change of the icon? pretty cool hey... )
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote