Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:58 PM   #1

Two of the big online retailers are both "out of stock" on Canon external flashes, specifically the 430ex. Certainly other areas to turn and even have one picked out but curious if anyone my know what the status is? Any news? New equipment releases?

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:22 PM   #2

That's surprising! I just looked at B&H and Adorama and sure enough, out of stock. I'm not one for the pointless wondering/debating about the next Canon product, but it does make me say "Hhhmmmm!"

Anyway, have you considered Ebay or Amazon?
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:31 PM   #3
Administrator

Beach Camera/Buydig.com shows them in stock (as do a number of other vendors):

Canon 430EX at beachcamera.com for $240.00

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:25 PM   #4

The "where" to buy or whether or not it was available anywhere was certainly not my issue. It didn't take much time to find the 430ex available at plenty of other reputable online stores. As a matter of fact, I' ve already gotten one.

The question is and was, why are two of the biggest and most recognizable online retailers out of stock on this fairly common product for over two weeks.

Like edwardr, I don't follow and wait for every new product announcement. Heck, most in these forums know I wouldn't know the difference between the old one and a possible new one if you slapped me in the face with them. But, if that was a sign there is a new introduction coming... I may wait and at least see what the future held. No immediate answers so I just followed the continual advice that I add external flash to my arsenal and got one.

Done deal now for me.

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:20 PM   #5
Administrator

When a distributor is out of something, the stores that rely on that distributor run out, too. Many dealers don't really stock the items you see on their web site. Instead, they use one of the larger distributors, and the items are drop shipped with a custom shipping label to make it look like it came from your dealer directly. ;-)

Larger "brick and mortar" dealers like B&H tend to buy direct and stock their own inventory. So, just because they run out, doesn't mean a lot (it could be an inventory control issue, with more than expected demand for a product before orders were placed).

I wouldn't read too much into a dealer like B&H running out of a particular item. When dealers that use distributors run out, I tend to notice that more.

With this Canon flash model, it's a tough call. I haven't followed it's availability much in the past.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote