Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:59 AM   #1

I need Help setting up Sunpak 383 on 20D. I want to shoot portraits outside in good light. I want to use the 383 for fill flash. When I set up the camera to the flash it has me set the ISO on 400 but I would like to use 100 for the quality can I do that? What is the best setup for fill? Should I even use the 383 at all and just use the camera flash? What is the best setup and settings?

HELP
RP33
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:34 AM   #2
NHL

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
When I set up the camera to the flash it has me set the ISO on 400 but I would like to use 100 for the quality can I do that?
When the camera is set to the "Basic" zone:
o Auto (green rectangle)
o Portrait
o Landscape
o Close-up
o Sports
-> the camera will set the ISO automatically - i.e. 400 ISO in low-light...

In the Creative Zone modes you can set the ISO to any you like:
o Program
o Tv
o Av
o M
o A-Depht

Quote:
What is the best setup for fill?
With the 383 it's best to set the camera on manual with the shutter @ 1/250s or below and the aperture to match the setting that is on the flash.
The amount of fill can then be varied using the EV scale in your camera viewfinder: -2..-1..v..+1..+2 by adjusting the shutter
-> The more to the left of the scale (i.e. -2EV) the more flash it will be (i.e. less ambient mix) - If you need to change to a different aperture also remember to change the flash automatic setting as well...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3

What would you adjust to adjust the exopure scale in the view finder. What adjustment would I play with? Also can I set at iso 100 in manual and use flash?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:02 PM   #4
NHL

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
What would you adjust to adjust the exopure scale in the view finder. What adjustment would I play with?
It depends on the lighting since you have 3 apertures to play with on the Sunpak 383: f/2, f/4, and f/8...

I'll start with f/4 and see where the ambient light fall on the EV scale: If it's too far back toward the -2EV then I would open up the aperture to f/2 (provided your lens can do the same) - If it's too bright toward the +2EV then I woulf pick f/8 instead
-> Once an aperture is fixed you can play with the shutter speed (1/30 to 1/250s) to vary the EV scale

NB: It got to fall between -2..-1..v scale for flash - anything to the right and you'll end with over exposure

Quote:
Also can I set at iso 100 in manual and use flash?
You can set anything in manual... You have total control over the camera

BTW - Why do specifically need ISO-100?
If it's too noisy at ISO-400 (which is still very good on a 20D) then really you need more light (i.e. the current flash is not powerful enough)...
-> underexposure brings up noise :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote