Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:12 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm shopping for my first external flash for my D-Reb XTi, and I'm stumped as to the difference between these two Metz flashes...except that the MZ is $399 retail versus $299 for the AF. Can anybody explain the differences between the two and if the MZ is worth the extra $100? Mind you, I'm very green on external flashes. Thanks.

Brian
Briantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Administrator

The 54AF1 does not have a built in sensor to monitor the flash during the exposure. The 54MZ4 does. So, the AF series models are missing the Auto mode feature of the MZ series strobe, where the flash controls it's own output based on reflected light (terminating the flash output when it sees enough light for your current camera settings for aperture and ISO speed).

Instead, the AF series models rely on a metering preflash (as do the camera manufacturers' flash models). This Auto mode is one of the advantages of the MZ series models.

In addition, the 54MZ4 uses a replaceable foot. So, you could use the same flash on more than one camera brand by swapping it out. The 54AF1 can only be used on the camera model the foot and firmware was designed for (separate models for Sony/KM, Nikon, Canon).

Depending on the camera the flash is being used on, you may also lose some features. For example, it's my understanding that you lose HSS (High Speed Sync) and Wireless with Konica Minolta DSLR models using the 54AF1. These features are present in the 54MZ4 on KM DSLR models with the correct foot. I don't know what features you'd lose using one on a Canon compared to the 54MZ4. But, you may want to look through the manuals for it at Metz.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:18 PM   #3
NHL

The Metz 54 AF-1c is being replaced by the 58 AF-1c
The 58 AF-1c does have a built-in sensor to support the Auto mode like the 54MZ series, and yes the 58 AF-1c does have the High-Speed-Sync mode for the Canon system

-> If I bought a Metz now I would pick the 58 AF-1c over the Metz 54 MZ-4 though - It's slighly more powerful (GN of 58 vs 54), but still costs less. The 58 AF-1c has the extra wireless flash mode which is compatible with Canon system as well, unlike the older 54MZ-4.

The 58 AF-1c firmware is also fully upgradeable through USB... to keep up with the next generation of cameras :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:34 PM   #4

I've heard the 58s don't work with a radio slave, though. I'd like to rig my external flash in that fashion. BR
Briantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:41 PM   #5
NHL

Briantium wrote:
Quote:
I've heard the 58s don't work with a radio slave, though. I'd like to rig my external flash in that fashion. BR
Why not?
Doesn't the RF receiver device just fit under the flash's own hotshoe...
(i.e. It's just not built-in like the Quantum's I believe)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote