Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:06 PM   #21
Administrator

Just open up your aperture a stop (for example, from f/5.6 to f/4), or double your ISO speed (for example, from ISO 100 to 200) from what the flash settings show, if you're consistently a stop underexposed or thereabouts. Tweak it. ;-)

The easiest way would be just to set the slider on the flash to a one stop lower ISO speed than you want to use (set to to ISO 100 but use ISO 200; or set it to ISO 200, but use ISO 400). Then, use the same aperture the flash says to use. If you're a consistently a stop underexposed, that should fix it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:10 AM   #22

That's what I've been doing, I was just wondering if this was common or if it was just my particular flash.
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Administrator

I use a Sunpak 333 Auto. It's got almost the same design and specs, only it's got a manual zoom head on it.

Exposure is usually pretty close. But, it will vary with different environments. I usually bounce the flash, and the ceiling height/color/reflectivity, as well as my zoom head position will influence it.

What I typically do is take a few test shots in the environment I'm using a flash in.. Then, tweak my settings for best results (sometimes they may be a bit "hot" and sometimes they may be a tad underexpoed). It tends to vary with the room design.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote