Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:10 AM   #1

Hello, long time reader first time poster.

Please excuse the complete and utter lack of flash knowledge. The only flash I have had experience with are either the onboard flash, or a 1980's HK no-name flash my girlfriend had for her Lomo clone.

I won't pretend to understand all the technical talk, I just need some advice, on what (if anything) is worth buying for a K10D for under £100. I need a general purpose flash, posable is prefered with a diffuser available if not included.

There's just so many flipping flashguns out there, I thought it best to ask some advice rather than just making a blind purchase.

Thanks in advance
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Administrator

You may be better off asking this question in our Pentax DSLR forum (where members that are more familiar with what is available for your model can comment). We discourage cross posting the same question to multiple forums here (for one thing, so that all answers to a question will be in the same place).

But, in your case, I'll make an exception.

My guess is that you're not going to find a dedicated flash that's got enough power and flexibility to make a good general purpose flash in your price range.

So, your best bet is probably going to use one of the popular non-dedicated models like a Sunpak 383 Super. They're under $100 brand new (and less used):

Sunpak 383 Super at B&H

Because of it's popularity as a non-dedicated flash, you'll also find a variety of third party attachments (diffusers, etc.) designed to work with them.

Another popular non-dedicated model is the Vivitar 285HV. But, it doesn't have swivel (tilt only) if that's a consideration.

Again, I'd check in the Pentax DSLR forum and get some opinions on any alternatives.

This type of non-dedicated flash has a built in sensor that measures reflected light during an exposure, then terminates it's output when it sees enough light for the aperture and ISO speed set on it.

IOW, instead of the camera trying to control the length of the flash burst, the flash is handling it. It's better than a manual only solution (setting power levels on a flash), since the flash varies the length of the flash burst to give you correct exposure within a variety of distances to subject (most have several ranges you can set via a slide switch on them that shows you the aperture and iso speed you need to use on the camera).

This type of solution means that you'd need to shoot with manual exposure on the camera, setting the camera and flash to match for aperture and ISO Speed (since they don't communicate this type of information with a non-dedicated solution). Sometimes you may need to "tweaK" the settings a bit (expose a hair darker or brighter to better match your camera model's sensitivity). But, it's not as hard as it sounds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks, I will re-post it there.

I assumed I would have been told off for asking about it anywhere other than here.

In my day (im only 27) they were just a bulb and some batteries :lol:
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote