Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:14 PM   #1

I'm using a Canon A630 and added the wideangle converter lens WC-DC58N. Well, now I obviously have a shadow cast from this large lens when taking pictures indoors with just the camera's on-built flash. So I went and picked up a Quantaray QMS-D1 digital slave flash (thought I'd save some bucks - $40.00).

Well...I've been taking some indoor comparison pictures - first with just the on-built flash, then with the additional Quantaray flash. Looking at the results, the on-built flash produces a very natural looking color overall - but then when using the Quantaray flash, the image looks more yellow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So am I imagining this or is it possible that there is a color temerature difference between the on-built flash and the Quantaray? I'm thinking I should just stick with all Canon gear and just get the $100.00 Canon HF-DC1.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:04 PM   #2

More likely the auto white balance is wrong. Set it manually for Flash.

If your camera was capable of shooting raw most Digicams can not and if they can are too slow that way you could set it after in DPP or Pshop. With Jpegs and inherent compression it is more important to get it write before the image is taken.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:18 PM   #3

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
More likely the auto white balance is wrong. Set it manually for Flash. If your camera was capable of shooting raw most Digicams can not and if they can are too slow that way you could set it after in DPP or Pshop. With Jpegs and inherent compression it is more important to get it write before the image is taken.
I set the manual white balance before taking any photos - so I don't see how that could be the issue. The colors look natural and true-to-life when using "only" the on-built flash but once you add the Quantaray flash triggering alongside the on-build flash, what previously looked natural and true-to-life in color now has a yellowish overtone to it. I can edit the color of the images on the computer after-the-fact but that wouldn't be necessary if the external flash worked as I had expected. I'm still experimenting, but there's definitely something amiss when using this Quantaray external slave flash.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Nathan Shane wrote:
Quote:
I set the manual white balance before taking any photos - so I don't see how that could be the issue.
What do you mean by that? How are you setting white balance?

Your model appears to have these options available:

White Balance - Auto, Sunny, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater (when used with the optional housing) and Custom one-push WB set

You won't be able to set it correctly before you take a flash photo, since if you set it to the temperature of the lighting in the room using a custom white balance, the flash is going to have a totally different temperature in most cases. I'd expect blue photos if you set a custom white balance in incadescent lighting and used a flash though, not yellow. But, if you're using the camera's built in flash, the algorithms may automatically override your custom settings to some extent (some cameras will). Some cameras can measure it from a gray card if you trigger an external flash during the measurement (which is the only way a custom white balance would work if you're using flash).

I'd try setting to daylight (sunny) and see what you get if the flash is providing most of the light. That should get you close for most flashes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5

A number of flashes have a yellow tint to the lens/diffuser, in order to give a warmer look to pictures taken with flash. Usually for shooting film. Could this be the case with yours? The nature of Xenon strobes is such that they all fire at the same color temp (around 6500K, as I recall). Something to do with energy states and good old Quantam.

You may be able to balance the two flashes by using a yellow diffuser, or, as you say, getting a compatible flash.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:21 AM   #6

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
A number of flashes have a yellow tint to the lens/diffuser, in order to give a warmer look to pictures taken with flash.
I think this seems to be the case because the lens/diffuser does indeed have a bit of a yellow tint to it. After reading more posts here and researching other digital slave flashes, I think there are others that offer many more features that would be useful than what this flash offers, so I think I'll be returning it tomorrow.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:58 PM   #7

If your flash has a yellow tint then it will probably work best with Daylight WB as the idea of the tint is to balance the slightly blue light from the flash tube to be closer to daylight lighting.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:49 AM   #8

If the flash makes a non standard color temp then the best correction would be a non standard white balance, but what color to use?

The amount of yellow you get should be close to the same amount of correction needed.

Flash photo a white piece of paper in auto and print it out. Then use it to white balance with using sunlight.

This might get you close if your printer is good.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote