Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:24 PM   #1

Hi there, I am a complete newbie when it comes to external flashes...i am seriously thinking about getting the canon 430 EX for my camera(S5) but have a question...i have been reading up on it and realize the benefits of indoor photography and fill flash in daylight, but what i am not sure of is how it would affect my nightime pics....We are headed to DL in a few weeks, and am wondering if the flash would help me at all in my pics there in the dark...Also, is it a huge help indoors taking action shots...my oldest daughter cheerleads and my son plays hockey and of course, getting great shots indoors is difficult(without a dslr)...i just wondered if it would help with these pics also...my youngest daughter plays soccer outdoors, thankfully i can get great pics already here...thanks of any and all advice of buying this flash...for the amount of money i just want to make sure it is really worth it...Also, are they really hard to figure out how to use or are they pretty straightforward...i appreciate anything anyone could tell me...thx

sharon

jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:45 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The 430 is pretty straightforward and I use mine on auto pretty much all the time and let the camera (30D and 5D) sort out what it needs to be on. I'm not sure how it will work out with the S5 but probably going to be fine.

As for indoor sports it is going to help out but will still depend how far you are away from your children and I've never had to use mine indoors for sport to be able to give any examples.

When you say nighttime pics, what sort of things are you taking photos of?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:12 PM   #3

Sharon,

like you, I've never used an external flash. I just ordered the 430 EX for my S5 and once it gets here I'll let you know how hard (or easy) it is to figure out.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:41 PM   #4

Sharon,

First off - no, it isn't hard to use at all. As mark said, you can leave it in an automatic mode and you'll be OK. They only thing you'll have to learn to do (and it isn't difficult) is to use flash exposure compensation. The basic idea is you are telling the camera/flash to generate more or less light than the camera/flash thinks it should. The good news is you don't HAVE to do this. But the better news is - the ability is there and it's easily done.

For indoor sports - there are a couple aspects to this. First and foremost is whether or not flash is ALLOWED. Yes I know a lot of people in the stands use their digicams with flash. But you'll be putting out a bigger flash bang so you want to be sure it's allowed. For example where I live, Flash is allowed for HS basketball & wrestling but NOT for gymnastics or volleyball. Even with the flash you'll still want to get a reasonably close seat - i.e don't plan on sitting at the top of the bleachers and shooting to the other corner of the gym.

Good luck and enjoy your new flash. I think you'll be impressed with how much it improves your non-sports photos!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:42 PM   #5

Sharon,

You might want to take a look at Sarah's tutorial and then hop over to the 'Rookie question" thread with Nathan and I. We're all just fiddling around and we could fiddle with you too.

JG

Old Sep 24, 2007, 4:07 AM   #6

Just got my S5 and 430EX this weekend. Using both on auto mode seems simple enought.

I like the auto adjustment of the flash when you zoom in/zoom out. The LCD display of the 430EX shows you the equivalent mm of zoom.

This means flash output (strength and angle) are adjusted automatically.

Great combination. Easy to use.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:12 PM   #7

Hi Sharon, I have the S5 and the 430EX and I LIKE the combo! It makes a huge difference compared to the built-in flash, and it has well enough power for bouncing.
donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:23 AM   #8

Sharon or anybody else interested,

If you're still looking at the 430EX, here's a test gallery for the flash showing the different bounces.

http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny/flashtest

Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:35 PM   #9

wow, thanks for all the great replies, i think i am going to go ahead and get it...thanks again

sharon
jakoky is offline   Reply With Quote