Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:13 PM   #1

I am trying to figure out what flash I need to get. I have a Canon30D. Does anyone have any suggestions?:|Does the type of flash depend on the type of pictures being taken?
Redop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:39 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I would look at the The Canon 580EX, Canon 430EX or Sigma DG-500 or DG-500 Super depending on budget and features required.

I have the 580 and the 430 as backup and when I have to use the 430 I get annoyed at how slow it is to be ready for the next shot, however that is after being used to the very fast 580.

How much do you want to shoot, how often, for what purpose?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:07 AM   #3

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
How much do you want to shoot, how often, for what purpose?
Purpose: I will be shooting pretty much anything. From sports, (football, baseball, B-ball), landscape, and could get into more inside events. Weddings and family gatherings.

How often: Do you mean how fast will I be shooting? If so, I guess the sprots would be the fastest rate.

How much: Hard to say really. It could be once a week or a few times a month.

Would you reccomend getting a stofen omni-bounce with the flash?
Redop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

If at all possible I would not shoot sports using flash, as yet I never have you would be better off with a fast lens if you have one or can get one.

I have an omnibounce but never use it, I bounce off of walls, ceilings etc.

The DG Super or the 580 would be my choice as they have the better power output so can work with larger groups, they also refresh fast which I think will help you.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:43 AM   #5

I've been quite happy with my 580EX II. I'd say the 580EX with 30D offers just as good combination with less price. For landscapes you have really no use for flash (unless using it to create something "artistic"). For sports you'd perhaps rather choose a lens withwide aperture and fast focusing.

If you really need to use flash for sports photography, your best option would be 580EX/580EXII, since they have the best in line fast shooting properties.

I would recommend reading this excellent article to help you find the flash matching your needs and budgethttp://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
hepakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 8:53 AM   #6
Administrator

You may also want to consider the Metz offerings. This is a newer model with USB upgradeable firmware and more.

Metz 58AF-1 Flash for Canon at B&H

If you have more than one camera brand (or may change brands in the future), you may also want to consider the Metz 54MZ4 (making sure you get the correct foot with the latest firmware for Canon models). Some dealers sell it with the foot included, or you can get it separately. You'll want the SCA3302M3 foot (the M3 is the firmware version number) for it to get all of the needed features E-TTL, etc. Go to this page to see features supported.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/adapter.143.ht

The Metz 54MZ4 has an interchangeable foot so you can use it with more than one camera brand by changing it. An older foot can also be upgraded to newer firmware in most cases. Bogen Imaging is the Metz distributor in the U.S. and handles that for them.

If you're looking for more power (i.e., your Sports application), they also have some "Hammerhead" (Handlemount) models that you may want to look at. Note that you'd need the correct SCA module for Canon to go with it (not included in this listing) if you want to use it as a dedicated unit (so that it would be aware of your camera settings).

Metz 76MZ5 at B&H

They have some less expensive handlemount units, too (although not as powerful as that one); and if you don't mind using manual exposure, you can sometimes find some pretty good bargains on some of the older non-dedicated models in the used market.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:25 PM   #7

The Metz and 580 would be my recommendations as they have external battery packs which will greatly improve recycle times.

I have the Sigma 500 DG super and it's been a great flash, but I lament the fact I can't get a battery pack for itt. So when I use it in sports shootings I'm pretty well limited to one shot. From what I understand the 580 is better using internal batteries but still not as good as when an external battery pack is used.

Unfortunately this is a big money maker for Canon so you have to decide how much you want that fast recycle time and whether it's worth all the extra cash to buy the 580 and battery pack.

I know Metz is very highly regarded and a number of pros I've talked to prefer it over canon flashes (but that was prior to the 580 so not sure if their opinions would have changed).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote