Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:04 AM   #1

Hi all, Ive scanned thru various forums, not really reaching any conclusions on this. The webiste only offically lists for the previous 580Ex model.

Im not hung up on specifically getting a Fong brand diffuser, but I thought this is a good place to start this topic.

Ive used homemade alternatives in the past (paper bounce cards etc ) but Im doing a few weddings so maximum light ouput & the appearance are both factors now.

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!
Gareth81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

Gareth-

Gary Fong's Light Sphere sizing is based upon the size of the flash head. I could be wrong, but, I beieve that both flashes have the very same size flash head. Light Sphere IMO is over priced and physically too large, but it does actually work quite effectively, so I guess it has to be that big.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:53 PM   #3
NHL

Gareth81 wrote:
Quote:
... Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!
I haven't use the Gary Fong's, but I do have a lot of experience with the Lumiquest:
http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm

This thing fold flat in its own wallet and is interchangeable with most flashes 580EX, 550EX, and even velcro on my old Minolta 5600HD: the various color inserts (gold/silver/white) are interchangeable as well as the frosted screen...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:46 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I agree with you Sarah, the Fong products are quite expensive. I might look at the lumiquest products as suggested by NHL.

Ive now seen a couple of ebay ads that state the fong and it's knock off version fit both the 580EX and the 580EXii. So for now I'll assume this to be right, might look at getting a cheaper diffuser and see how it goes..
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:35 AM   #5

Gareth-

Here is another suggestion that I just came across yesterday (09/12).

I found that at www.dempflashproducts.com. I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:30 AM   #6

Gareth81 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys, I agree with you Sarah, the Fong products are quite expensive. I might look at the lumiquest products as suggested by NHL.

Ive now seen a couple of ebay ads that state the fong and it's knock off version fit both the 580EX and the 580EXii. So for now I'll assume this to be right, might look at getting a cheaper diffuser and see how it goes..
After reading numerous posts on other websites about the knock off versions, I decided to just go with one of those Lambency Lightsphere knock offs and purchased (via Paypal) one for my 430EX. Others have said that the knock offs were identical and there was speculation that they may even be coming from the same manufacturer that the Fong products come from. That was this past Monday that I placed my order and Paypal finally took the money from my account out last night, I checked my account this early Thursday morning. Other than ebay, there were a couple other links others had included that they purchased from and I went to one of those. A place called DealExtreme - apparently they are in Hong Kong and ship from there just like all the others, but at least you don't have to pay for shipping, so the final price I paid was $16.74

Here the link to their website http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.Lambency
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:33 PM   #7

Nathan-

I will be interested to see what you think of the Hon Kong knock-off product. I have Gary Fong's original product, but I rarely use it due to it large physical size. The LightSphere does work well, but it is pretty darned big.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:15 PM   #8

mtclimber wro
Quote:
I will be interested to see what you think of the Hon Kong knock-off product. I have Gary Fong's original product, but I rarely use it due to it large physical size. The LightSphere does work well, but it is pretty darned big. - Sarah Joyce
Yeah, I hear what you're saying Sarah. In fact, I've already read many posts in other forums where people praise it's usefulness but also acknowledge that it draws too much undesired attention from on-lookers that like making comments about it's shape and size. This past week I've been working with the Sto-Fen and LumiQuest Mini SoftBox I bought last Saturday and learning more about how they can affect flash and be used. I'm interested in possibly doing Real Estate and Indoor/Architectural photography and without using multiple flashes (which it may come to some day) to try and get the most out of the 430EX on the S5.

In all my indoor testing of shooting rooms and such, I think the Fong Lightsphere could actually be a much more beneficial tool for spreading the light around the room and down and around furniture in ways that bounce or sto-fen bounced flash does not. When I added the flash to this S5 it opened up far more doorways for being able to capture photos in ways that the camera (with its built-in flash) alone cannot offer. But as you know, the learning curve for flash photography takes you down a whole other pathway. A pathway of thinking about seeing into shadows with the flash or not wanting to see into them more, or which direction a shadow may (or may not) be produced by the flash. Like I said, I love the more creative photo options I now have with adding the 430EX, but boy does it take you down different photographic avenues.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:37 PM   #9

Thanks Sarah and Nathan! Ive decided to go with one of the lambency diffusers, and see how it goes. I do like the idea that it spreads light all around, as opposed to strictly bouncing it. hopefully this means that in addition to a diffused effect, it will soften shadows further, and fill up dim areas in a scene because the light will be even less directional than bouncing. Thanks for your advice, I'll post a comment once ive recieved it and confirm it fits the 580EXii for those interested.

cheers
Gareth
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:04 AM   #10

Hi guys, my Lambency diffuser arrived today.

Since ordering it, (last thurs nite, ebay) I found the 580Exii has a slightly larger head compared to the 580Ex model.

(see this link)
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx

So now being aware the 580Exii flash is infact, larger than its predecessor, I take it out of its box & I cross my fingers and hope for the best(!), and guess what!.... it fits PERFECTLY. Nice and snug.

Im very happy with it!
Thanks Sarah & Nathan for your thoughts on this too.