Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:42 AM   #1

Yesterday afternoon (09/08) I started writing a Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial for a friend. In as much as there has been some interest in this folder regarding external flash choices for the Canon S-5IS in this folder, I thought that I would mention it.

I will post it over in the Canon point and shoot folder, if you might be interested. All are welcome. In general, the tutorial really covers any hot shoe mounted flash that can both tilt and swivel. So, by extension, the tutorial also applies to most all DSLR flashes, although it is "tailored" to the Canon S-5IS camera.

Drop by, and enjoy the discussion if you like.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:45 AM   #2

Has Canon finally gotten around to allowing their own flash units to work TTL when the camera is set to manual exposure mode? I like going to manual, setting my own shutter speed and aperture, then letting the flash work in TTL mode. That's how I almost always used my Canon speedlights with my 10D and Digital Rebel and, going back further, the Elan 7 film body I used.

The last Canondigicam I used that had a dedicated hotshoe, a G-series, Canon crippled that feature with the 420EX model speedlight I had. If you set the camera to manual exposure mode, all they gave you with both the built-in flashor EX flash unitswas a series of non-TTL, manual optionsatvarying powers...a very trial and error exercise, and quite useless.

Your tutorial is very thorough, and I can see many people benefitting from it. I see in scanning through itthe AF assist light on the flash isn't active, which is pretty much consistent among all digicams of any maker that have dedicated hot shoes, andthat's OK as long as the AF assist light on the camera works well. Unfortunately on the G5 I was using, it didn't work very well at all beyond 4 feet or so, especially if you zoomed any amount beyond the widest focal lengthsetting. That one thing alone drove me crazy to the point back then thatI finally broke down and bought my first DSLR.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:10 AM   #3

greg-

Thanks for your post and your comments. The S-5IS flash system is improved to a great degree, but, for example, the flash cannot offer an auto foucus assist on the S-5IS, but switch that same flash to your Canon DSLR (any of them) and the auto focus assist suddenly comes alive and it is fully operative.

No, the flash does not retain its TTL capabilities when the Mode Selector is moved to manual unfortunately. It is a much better flash system, but because the S-5IS camera is part of the point and shoot group, some of the features are crippled.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:57 PM   #4

Sarah,

Just finished reading the 12 pages (of course, I had a head start). Rather than say thanks privately, I figured I'll do it here in public. It seems the right thing.

To all,

I'm the friend Sarah is talkng about. Having never used an external flash before, I bought a Canon 430EX for my S5 and spent a couple of days staring at it. As always, Sarah jumped in and I am now capable of turning it on, aiming it, bouncing it andbeing amazed at the sheer power of the thing. Soon I hope to actually get a good exposure with pleasing light.

I recommend any realtively new photo hobby people take the time to read and digest Sarah's stuff. It's seriously good and, more important for a teacher, seriously accessible.

Thanks again Sarah.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:46 PM   #5

Thank you very much, JohnGalt-

I am working on the second half of the Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial this afternoon. So hopefully, the extra material will be equally helpful and will help you with your exposure problems when using bounce flash.

Can you post a photo for me to see. We might be able to correct the problem right on the spot for you. I should finish the tutorial by late tomorrow (09/10).

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6

I enjoyed reading your flash tutorial as well. But there is one thing I am still confused about and I emailed Canon support with this question but you may be able to answer more quickly. When you talk about certain flash features of the 430EX not intended on working with the S5 - that's where my questioning comes in since both owner's manuals are not exactly clear on their operation together.

When the 430EX is connected to the S5 - does it only operate as a simple FLASH without any automatic flash adjustments or can there still be some intelligent communication going on between the two units?

Since I just got both units this past Fri/Sat. and I'm still learning, but I have mostly always used my previous A630 and now the S5 in P mode. Once I got the 430EX attached I was using it with the S5 still in P mode. Most of the pictures had too much flash when the flash head was pointed straight ahead and I was having to manually adjust the flash output. But I thought that the flash was supposed to automatically meter the scene and automatically adjust the flashes output for the right amount of flash - but this didn't seem to be the case.

Or...does the 430EX "only" change the flash output automatically when using the Tv or Av mode? In other words, was the P mode the wrong mode to be using with the flash?

Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:43 PM   #7

Nathan-

Firstly, as I noted in the Flash Tutorial. I do not own the Canon EX-430 flash, I own the Canon EX-420 which I purchased more than a few years ago to go with my Canon G-2. So I do not consider myself an authority of any kind on the Canon EX-430 Flash.

Through research and reading online I have determined that one of the biggest features of the EX-430, the auto focus assist, is active on Canon's EOD DSLR cameras, but not on Canon's point and shoot cameras.

I do have a new Opteka Flash, that like the EX-430, is also a dedicated flash, and it works perfectly for me in the Program, as well as the TV and AV Modes. It also shows the needed info on the flash's LCD screen at any of the various tilt or swivel positions of the flash.

I sincerely hope that you understand that the whole approach of the Flash Tutorial was to teach flash techniques, not to offer an easy to read instructional manual for the Canon EX-430 flash, I hope you will understand that intent. I cannot cover instruction on a piece of equipment that I do not own.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:02 PM   #8

Hey Sarah, yes I understood that your article was written around the equipment that you own and you weren't using a 430EX. I just thought perhaps with your life-long experience you may have come across a specific answer to my question at some point in time. We all share what knowledge we have with others when we can and you've definitely helped share many pieces of the photographic puzzle in these forums. I think in time we'll all have the answers we seek...so it's all good in my book. :-)
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:35 PM   #9

Nathan-

I am glad to know that you are OK with the intent and outcome of the S-5IS Flash Tutorial. I did it to help and it is free. Can't get much better than that.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:54 PM   #10

John and Nathan-

I just wanted you to know that tomorrow mornining 09/15, I will add/post 10 more pages to the "Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial. That will finish the Flash Tutorial. In total there will be 22 single spaced pages of instruction.

Sarah Joyce