Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

Hi all,

Sarah has been such a big helpthat I decided to be her assistant. I went into darkened room and took a series of 13 shots with the onboard FL and the 430EX in various positions. Each shot is labeled with the appropriate info.

Since there are so many I didn't post them here. They are in my S5 TEST SHOTS gallery at:

http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny

Sarah -- let me know what you think and if you want anything else taken for reference.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:13 PM   #2

Hey John, looks like you and I are both doing similar things to teach ourselves about how the flash affects lighting the room and objects in that room. Your STRAIGHT AHEAD photo looks the best for overall even lighting. Notice in your 60 degree bounce photo that the horizontal section of the ceiling that is facing vertically (where the ceiling steps up) catches more flash and is starting to burn out. Then also notice that as the flash approaches being pointed directly upwards, since the ceiling is so low, the bounced flash begins to burnout the table top.

I encourage you to get a Sto-Fen (or cheaper knock off) flash diffusor and learn with that alongside the direct flash. Diffusing the flash can make for much better lighting I'm learning, but then there are time when some photos look better without having the flash diffused. And also play around with homemade bounce cards too because it's amazing just how differently the flash output and picture results can be modified with diffusion and bouncing. It will take me a good bit of time to get all the subtle technicalities learned, but at least it's fun.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:29 PM   #3

Something else you can do to better understand how the light from your flash is projected - sit outside late at night when it is good and dark and with no other lights on around you. You want it good and dark. I sat on the back porch and pointed the camera towards to back fence. Taking pictures in complete darkness this way really reveals how the flash works and projects light because it's easy to immediately see where the flash is and where it isn't. Just something else to try really.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:33 PM   #4

Nathan,

We agree that it's fun. it's also less frustrating than seeing good shots and losing them to your limited knowledge.

I made the bounce card myself (from the topic right above us) and I'll probably make a diffuser myself. I have no objection to spending money (obviously) but I don't see 15 bucks for a lump of milk carton plastic.

Talk to ya soon.

JG

Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:44 PM   #5

John and Nathan-

Good efforts thus far. I also felt that a plastic milk carton would work well as a diffuser. However when I tested it, it is not all that efficient. I have had a crash effort this week as our 2 month contract on cruise ships, has just gotten extended to 3.5 months through the end of the year.

Yes, I like the extension, but it also means that I have to have more new material, so I have been burning the midnight oil!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:59 PM   #6

Sarah,

What are you doing on the ships? Teaching seminars? Taking Pictures? Keeping the bikers under conrtrol??

JG