Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:21 AM   #1

Hi All

I think I may have fried my Nikon SB26 (a few too many shoots, and too quickly). It was hot when i stopped and found the batteries 2700maH Uniross were super hot (could not even hold them). I've tested the flash - it powers up and looks as if its ok but it simply won't fire. Theres a very small noise coming from the flash when its powered on. Any ideas on whether it's repairable or should I just assume its dead and look for another.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:38 PM   #2

You killed it!

I know whenI usemy 2500mah batteries with my Olympus FL50, recycling is nearinstantaneous and I try not to do too many pops in a short period of time as I can sometimes feel the battery pack area of the flash getting warm.

I would bet it's either unrepairable or uneconomic to do so, based on what you could find a clean used one for.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:11 PM   #3

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply and advice. My FL50 with the same type of batteries doesnt get as hot as the SB26 did. I'm not sur eif the batteries are faulty as they were just pipeing hot.

I kind of knew that it wouldnt be worth repairing but was hoping someone might know a quick fix. In the meantime I've started to look for another SB26.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:15 PM   #4

It could just be that newerflashes like the FL50 are new enough the electronics are made tobetter handle that type power source. I'm pretty sure when the SB26 was new you couldn't buy nickel metal hydrides with that kind of punch. Those older Nikon speedlights are great units to use todaywith almost any digicam with a hot shoe since they always offered non-TTL auto.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote