Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 5, 2003, 8:42 AM   #1

Default Faster flash for D100

Hello
I am hoping someone can recommend a flash/strobe for use with a D100.
I'm looking for something that can recycle around 3 fps, enough to keep up with a D100 in burst mode.
Any thoughts as to models/price would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
Miloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:14 AM   #2

I don't know if that exists (sorry) but I can say that recycle time of a flash is [b]heavily/[b] dependent on the batteries and how good they are. In fact, I bet you'll have to get a good external battery pack to come even close to that.

This also limits your choise because not all flashes can take an external pack. Look at "www.digitalcamerabattery.com" I've heard good things about them.

You might also want to ask in the Nikon DSLR forum.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:46 AM   #3

realize that at that frame rate and depending on the output power reqd to light up the area you wish(distance) the front of the strobe will heat up and possibly melt.

lowering your output will allow a sb80 to recycle very fast(due to not depleting the cap) but the distance is cut quite a bit. that is the equation you must work out. coupled with a DCB w/regular output cable at 7-10 ft you'll have no real problem other then possibly annoying what ever your shooting.

the DCB battery/Hi output cable set up comes with that disclaimer too.

"This cable is designed to power XXXXX flash units faster than our standard XXXXX cable. Care shoud be used with this cable since damage to flash units with plastic lenses may result if the flash unit is fired too rapidly."
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:18 AM   #4

just did a quick experiment
1 canon 550ex strobe
1 30w DCB w/reg power cable DCBZ (no charge up for one week)
fired off camera no camera intervention/metering strobe in manual

fired 3 full output shots to assure capacitor fully formed

average recycle time full output was 2 sec

1/2 power single firing pilot light continues to stay lit

at 3 firings in ~1 sec 1st light lit 2nd light out but immediate relit 3rd same as 2 (not consistant though)

1/4 power pilot light did not extinguish at ~3 fps until approx 7-9 firings and then relit immediatly. at that amount of firings the strobe lens was starting to warm up

1/8 power pilot does not go out even after 30 continuous firings. lens is warm to the touch in the center area

the results should be similar for the sb80

ok i needed something to do for a few minutes
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:01 AM   #5

I hadn't even considered that using lower power flashes would let the unit recycle faster. I assumed that the times stated in specs were for recycle times regardless of settings.

This really eases things a bit. I was expecting the only solution was either forget it or pay really big bucks for a professional set up.

Thanks
Gary
Miloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:08 AM   #6

remember using the 4 AA batts alone will not get anywhere near the same results. when used with a external batt pack the AAs in the strobe will be used to power the screen/control panel and the batt pack is the raw flash power.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 12:09 AM   #7

You can also use a higher ISO and a slightly longer shutter speed. At night ,indoors, I usually shoot 1/60s f/4, at ISO 800 (on 4 AA's), and the SB-80 keeps up pretty good on short bursts. You can also use the DCB or Nikon's own battery pack. But I've seen first hand what happens when the plastic lens in the front of the flash melts... it's not a pretty sight :shock: It was another photg's SB-80DX that had shorted out, the lens looked like melted cheese over the strobe element :?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote